Here's what we do with barcodes.  Upper right hand corner of outside back
cover.  That was determined by my asking several school aides to imagine
doing inventory with a hand held scanner like PHD.  They all agreed that
was the best place.  So, they do the *work* on this one...so that's where
the barcode went.

Yes sometimes they do get mangled, but what is sacred about a barcode?  I
just replace the label when it is no longer useable.  Probably has
happened ten times in three years with a 10,000 item collection.  If that
throws my "stats" off so be it.  Since we have to open the back cover in
order to write the date due we either have the title there from the old
days or, for newer items, we write it neatly above the date due slip.

I knew right off that date due slips would not work and I prefer library
staff to write the date due in rather than having students do it.  For
accuracy's sake, I guess.  Students understand their responsibility is to
know where the date due is and why it is there.  Oh, we have a bar wand so
we tend to use it just for checkins.  Checkouts are more easily
accomplished by typing the T # in--hands are at the keyboard anyway.

carolan@ids.net
LM_NET IS A JOY!

LM_NET Archive Home