I love this conversation about print on paper vs digital. It does seem hard
and painful for those of us who love to curl up with a book to imagine
that same warmth generated by a terminal.  I guess I agree, but I see
another possibility on the horizon. Imagine a notebook about the size
of those 8 1/2 by 11 inch spirals we used in college.  It only has one
page on each side when opened and laid flat. It has slots and terminals
that would allow connection to telephone or cable tv outlets.  It has
a tiny antenna tucked away that allows it to send and receive
microwaves from satellite transceivers.  It has a tiny little slot
where you can insert a credit card size disk which holds as much
data as several books.  When turned on it has a full color high
resolution screen that exceeds the quality of any display today. Every book
in print is available for downloading into the memory.  You read it
almost like a paper book, by advancing the pages, or skipping forward
or back.  You hold it like a book. You advance the pages by touching the
screen or by pushing a cute little button.  It's full color screen is
great for illustrations. Well, what else?  You can make annotations just
like you can with a paper book, except you can find them instantly after
you've closed the book. How about the videos.  You can download them and
view them.  The sound is pretty good, and there are earphones so you
don't have to disturb anyone sitting next to you reading Thomas Mann or
something. You can even talk to the thing.  It will do as you tell it if
it isn't too complicated.

What I'm saying is that this stuff is very close now.  By 2000 for sure.
Does this mean there won't still be books?  Of course there will.  But
this computer I've just described will have many of the best features of
books as we know them, and more.  It's just a new kind of publishing, but
the ideas will be available as always

I can sympathize with those who love books.  I do too.  But this stuff
that's coming down now is fantastic. I might even be able to curl up with
one.

Mark Gordon
Oceana High School Library
Coalition of Essential Schools