> vintages and makes.  I have received a request from the resource teacher
> with the responsibility for keeping track of all the pieces to research
> the availability of a software program that might be designed to
> inventory and circulate this equipment.
>
> We currently keep our records in a data base, but it is cumbersome and

Martha,

We have begun automating our libraries with MOLLI (elementary, first; high
school and middle school next).  One of the selling (buying) features that
we liked was that there could be *different* categories where everthing
could be barcoded and inventoried using the same program but different
"files."  We hope to purchase a very powerful server with maximum memory.
I envision eventually checking out the (pretty expensive) portable bar code
reader to departments for inventorying items.  Of course, we are a small
school.  (I am assuming that the tape/disk could be brought to the library
to uploaded into specific files.)

Since inventorying happens at the end of the year, and issuing of
items (textbooks, band uniforms, etc.) occurs at the beginning of the year
(with sporadic check-ins, check-outs throughout), I don't see a lot of
conflict (perhaps a *little*).  (I also hope that such a set-up will not
make *me* responsible for the entire school inventory.  My idea is that
the files will be there if there is enough memory.  Everyone will take
care of their *own* files/bailiwick/backup disks/tapes.)

Has anyone done this?  It would seem to be especially effective if the
school were networked.  Of course, I don't see that it would work for very
large schools.

Thanks for any ideas and/or opinions.

Betty
                            bhamilt@tenet.edu
Betty Hamilton, LRS             .----.
Brownfield High School LMC      |    |                Home:
701 Cub Drive, North        ____|*    ~~~~~~.         911 East Oak St.
Brownfield, Texas  79316    \               |         Brownfield, TX 79316
(806) 637-4523               \_/\        . /          (806) 637-4213
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home