------- Forwarded Message

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 94 21:49:48 -0400
To: L_MNET@SUVM.SYR.EDU
From: "Gail M. Szeliga" <ny000999@mail.nyser.net>
Subject: Laserdisc ideas

Basically there are two types of laserdiscs - CLV and CAV.  The CLV
(Continuous Linear Velocity) discs are basically videos in another format,
the CAV (Continuous Angular Velocity) can be accessed by frame number and are a
 very
powerful instructional tool.

Any part of the CAV discs can be accessed by using a laserdisc's player remote
control, or bar code wand.  They can also be accessed interactively by
using a computer. Usually when you purchase the laserdisc, you will also
be notified if any interactive software exists.  One very inexpensive laserdisc
(49.95) that comes with IBM software is Hurricane Hugo.  Available from
Turner Multimedia.  This was the first interactive laserdisc that I used.

Another laserdisc that we own is BIO SCI II which also comes with IBM
Linkway interactive folders.  This disk has thousands of slides and many
videoclips dealing with Biological Science.

Students last year created their own interactive software using IBM
LINKWAY software and the videodisc entitled The Great Quake of 1989.
Clicking on buttons in their Linkway Folder accesses videoclips on the
laserdisc.  It turned out great!

Optical Data puts out wonderful laserdiscs with MAC Interactive
Hypercard stacks, but they are not cheap - $400 up.  Some of their well
known titles are: In the Holy Land, Communism and the Cold War, and
Martin Luther King.

As you can tell I am a very enthusiastic supporter of laserdisc.  Please
let me know if I can offer you any information.

------- End of Forwarded Message

LM_NET Archive Home