I'm a junior high school librarian in Las Vegas, NV. We
currently have 1765 students.  I have one aide who works
5 hours a day.  I am lucky to have an aide.  In our district
we have app. 17 junior high schools and only two of us have
library aides.  Our middle schools range anywhere from 1200
to 1850 students.
Next school year we are going to have a large increase in population.
Our district is growing at an extremely high rate because of the
economy, fairly low living expenses, and climate.  App. 11 of our
middle schools will go on double or extended day sessions.
My school, Johnson JHS, will go on double sessions.  Hours will be
from 6:30 to 6P.M.  We are projected to have app. 2300 students.
A decision has not been made  if we will have an additional librarian
and additional aide time.  Should be an interesting year that will extend
to a minimum of three years if a new school bond election fails next fall.

 If an additional librarian is not hired will the library be open
to students and classes with only an aide to supervise when I'm not on campus?
We are a very modern library with 10 student workstations where
students have a large menu of CD ROM reference sources from which to choose
. Our CD ROMs are daisy chained and served from a file server locked
in an office.  There is also modem access from any workstation in the library./
Within a month we should offer the ability for students to call our
library from home and use our card catalog.  Everything seems to be
secure but ----- what if something happens and I'm not in the building
to fix??????

I'm sure things will work out --- but we want to keep the excellent service
that we offer to students.   It's a concern.
By the way --- our district usually needs certified librarians
each year.  We are a very large district and have librarians in elementary,
middle schools, and high schools. If you know of any librarians who are
job hunting - Las Vegas might be an idea..

Roxanne Boyce, Librarian
Johnson JHS Library
7701 Ducharme Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89128