Dear Johanna,
Wow, you have quite a challenging situation.  I feel somewhat better with
350 kids and an aide two days a week. Still, it must be nice to be in a
new school.  First, lobby for an automated system.  If that doesn't work
may I suggest a sign in log.  Each class has a log with students names.
Students check off their name when they check out a book.  This helps
monitor students who aren't checkin g out books on a regular basis.
Next, Keep library pockets in a charge box and file by class.  As the
student check out by signing card, train the child to place signed card
in his official pocket until the books is returned.  True , books end up
on the check out counter without pocket and no clue as to who returned
it, but these are few.  When a child returns her book, she must pull her
card, mark off her name and replace card in the BOOK pocket.  I often
small incentives for classes that have no missing books for a month, such
as free computer time, pencils, fancey bookmarks, etc.
HOpe this helps.
Carol

<cbrown@ualred.ualr.fred.org> ------------------ 34.43.48N, 92.14.32W

Teacher K-12 at Franklin Incentive,  Little Rock  Little Rock, Arkansas

LM_NET Archive Home