Holly Tesar raises the issue of mice balls.  In these days of Bobbitt mania,
I am hesitant to commnet, but will.  We have had occassional problems with
stolen mouse balls.  We are reluctant to superglue the retaining ring
because the mouse becomes unservicable for cleaning purposes.  We did make
an interesting discovery though.  Not all balls are created equal.  Microsoft
balls do not work in DEC mice.  DEC balls are hard to come by.  We finally
discovered the variable...the weight of the balls, not their dimensions.
Old Olivetti balls are heavier and work in DEC mice.

Also, we discovered that students who use certain games heavily, at home,
routinely wear their balls out and often have a supply of replacement balls
on hand.  On two occassions, I had students offer replacement balls for our
mice.  So check with your game players for balls.
Bill Hanson
BHanson@CBE.AB.CA

LM_NET Archive Home