On Wed, 12 Jan 1994, WCU MicroNet List Echo wrote:

> I am considering replacing hard copy magazine back files with microfiche.
> This will be a substantial investment.
>         1) Is it worth it?
Fiche are definately more durable and flexible than bound hard copy
magazines.  There is one fiche per issue (usually) so in a volume you can
have 12 (or monthly mags) students using material insteat of tying up 11
issues so a student can have access to one (assuming 12 are bound
together.)  Students can't usually deface fiche, and they won't rip pages
out because they are out of $$ for the copy machine!  Fiche are easy to
misfile, though, essentially making the information disappear.

>         2) Should I wait for more full text magazines to be available on CD-RO
 M?

A fiche reader costs about $200, and we regularly buy them for under $20
at surplus sales.  We even have had corporations donate then to us when
they change to other imaging methods.  A CD-ROM terminal costs $1500,
minimum.  Networking it costs even more.  In our district we are doing a
LOT of CD full text, but we continue to have fiche and
CD-supported fiche access.  I suppose we will eventually migrate, but with
our financial condition (and the attitude of our School Board) I doubt if
we will be entirely computerized in the forseeable future.

Carol Mann Simpson                   csimpson@tenet.edu
Facilitator - Library Technology          214 882-7450
Mesquite (TX) Independent School District

LM_NET Archive Home