offer this response:  NO!

However, I do not recommend full text either as I found many of the full text
ideas contain numerous typographical errors.  The local public library I
work for purchased Information Access' microfilm (on reels) for the years 1983+.
   This has been terrific.  It is an EXACT duplicate of the magazine itself,
from front to back covers, including ads, charts, pictures, etc.  Of course,
everything is in black and white, but it has been terrific.  Patrons use the
InfoTrac workstation to find their source and then use the microfilm to get
the article.  We charge ten cents a page and it requires no special paper.
If you can afford it, I highly recommend that you look into this alternative.
It also solved the problem of missing issues, missing pages, etc.  Also, we were
able to cancel many serials that were rarely read or circulated but mainly
used for reference purposes.  They are found on the microfilm and so it was
too costly too continue subscribing to them.  We now subscribe to more general
interest serials and other serials not on the microfilm.  We have one of the
largest periodical collections in the library region (5 counties) and yet we
are a medium-sized public library!

Michael Pafumi
pafumi@main.morris.org

LM_NET Archive Home