Carole and LM_Netters:

RE:

>Our office works with teachers in 20 school districts and one of
>the home economics teachers asked if I would put her question on
>the network. Here it is:
>
>What ideas do you have for beginning sewing projects for boys in
>home economics classes?
>
>She would appreciate any responses.

The National Center for Research in Vocational Education operates a
listserv for vocational education practitioners and other interested folks.
 I have posted Carole's message on VOCNET and will buck any responses to
LM_NET.  I encourage any of you who are interested in subscribing to VOCNET
and/or the other listserv we manage or our new BBS to do so.  Info on these
three electronic communication mechanisms follow.

Peter

**** About the National Center for Research in Vocational Education ****

* What is the National Center for Research in Vocational Education?

        Designed as a change agent, the National Center for Research in
Vocational Education (NCRVE) is a consortium of nationally recognized
scholars and service personnel across seven institutions who hold a deep
commitment to the vocational education community.  The University of
California at Berkeley is the lead institution.  To complete the group,
Berkeley subcontracts with six other nationally recognized sites:  the
University of Illinois; the University of Minnesota; RAND; Teachers
College, Columbia University; Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State
University; and the University of Wisconsin. The presence of a Center site
in nearly every region of the country places NCRVE in direct touch with the
enormous diversity of regional vocational needs as well as with the
practitioners the Center ultimately serves.

* What Is the Center's Mission?

        NCRVE focuses its resources on responding to two goals:

        o Preparing individuals, including members of special populations, for
          substantial and rewarding employment over the long run
        o Acting as a catalyst for a shift to an economy dominated by a skilled
          and flexible workforce, one that maximizes both global competitiveness
          and individual potential, in which firms use more skilled and
          productive workers and provide the appropriate incentives for
          education and training-that is, a "high-skills equilibrium".

        These two goals reflect a multi-faceted trend the Center is
committed to encourage:  emerging vocationalism.  Important elements of
this trend are:

        o Providing students a broad education
        o Preparing students for careers as opposed to jobs
        o Acknowledging that occupationally oriented capacities are learned in a
          variety of settings
        o Drawing on all of these settings, concentrating on the transitions
          between and among them
        o Including all students
        o Implementing equitable access to as well as equitable completion of
          effective programs
        o Focusing on both vocational and academic teachers
        o Focusing on content as well as active, student-centered,
          project-driven, cooperative pedagogical methods
        o Increasing reliance on mechanisms of  accountability
        o Acknowledging that the shift to a skilled and flexible work force
          requires changes in the workplace in order to use the capacities
          developed through changes in vocational programs

        Emerging vocationalism and its two goals form the basis for NCRVE's
R&D as well as its dissemination and training agendas.

* What areas does the Center's research and development agenda investigate?

        NCRVE's R&D agenda is organized around six areas:

        o The economic context of vocational education
        o The institutional context of vocational education
        o The content and pedagogy of effective programs
        o Students in vocational education
        o Personnel in vocational education
        o Accountability and assessment

* How is the Center's dissemination and training agenda organized?

        The Center's dissemination and training agenda is organized around
five multi-site program areas (the program director, lead institution, and
email adress for each are indicated in parentheses):

        o Dissemination (Peter Seidman, University of California at Berkeley;
          seidman@uclink.berkeley.edu)
        o Professional Development (Curt Finch, Virginia Polytechnic Institution
          and State University; NCRVE@VTVM1.bitnet)
        o Special Populations (Carolyn Maddy-Bernstein, University of Illinois;
          maddy2@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
        o Planning, Evaluation, and Accountability (Gary Hoachlander, MPR
          Associates; MPRASS02@CMSA.berkeley.edu)
        o Program Development, Curriculum, and Instructional Materials (Allen
          Phelps, University of Wisconsin; APHELPS%CEW@mail.soemadison.wisc.edu)

* How does the Center distribute its publications?

        The NCRVE sells its publications through the NCRVE Materials
Distribution Service (MDS)

        To learn more about the Center's publications, including ordering a
complimentary publications catalog, contact the MDS:

                NCRVE Material Distribution Service
                Western Illinois University
                46 Horrabin Hall
                Macomb, IL  61455

                Telephone orders, call:  (800) 637-7652
                                  FAX:   (309) 298-2869

                Electronic orders, over Internet, post to:

                                  msmds@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu

Peter Seidman                                  seidman@uclink.berkeley.edu
Dissemination Program Director                 800-762-4093
National Center for Research                   510-642-4004
  in Vocational Education                      FAX 510-642-2124
2150 Shattuck Avenue, Suite 1250
Berkeley, CA  94704

             *** A bright future is the best contraceptive ***

                                     Marian Wright-Edelman