On Sat, 15 Jan 1994, Kristen Bellis wrote:

> Would it be possible to network the CD-ROM stations to the other
> buildings in the school district, negating the need for each buliding to

Yes, it is possible.  No, it isn't simple or cheap.  Enterprise (or wide
area) licenses for CDs are negotiable, but they aren't inexpensive, nor is
the hardware/software and network connection.  You do gain accessability
of other library collections, however, plus the ability to run e-mail and
other communications options.  You also have the expense of hard wiring or
cabling building together.  You DON'T want to do this over dial up
connections - too slow and too limited.  We currently network 10 CDs
district-wide using the city cable system as our means of connectivity.
We were nominated for the Computerworld-Smithsonian award for our
innovative use of computer networking.

Dr. Carol Mann Simpson                   csimpson@tenet.edu
Facilitator - Library Technology          214 882-7450
Mesquite (TX) Independent School District

LM_NET Archive Home