In our high school library media center, we most often serve
classes of students.  We find the full-text CD-ROM products less
adaptable in this context than are the CD-INDEXES supported by
the full-text microfiche.  A conscious decision to incorporate
the microfiche format into our operation followed a research
review completed in the early 1980's (prior to the availability
of CD-ROM products).
This extensive probe into the inconclusive microfiche studies
proved of limited benefit and contributed little to the decision.
The DOD and university based receptivity studies involved no
children or adolescents (youngsters do not need bifocals etc).
Additionally, the studies were conducted prior to the
availability of plain paper reader/printers (99% of our use
involves immediate conversion to hard copy).
The following motivated us to consider the microformat in the
early 1980's: (1) products we needed were becoming available on
microfiche (often an exclusive format), and (2) storage space was
becoming scarce.  The greatest benefit we have realized was not
anticipated: our students favor the independence with which they
are able retrieve and use the fiche.  The retrieval difference
under the TOM and NEWSBANK indexing systems, for example,
requires practice which, we feel, helps students refine skills of
location because the depository is self-service.  The librarians
request the students use a "file out flag" and DUMP the fiche
after use so that we can file them.  (They cooperate very well
and in a busy day we refile a hundred or more microfiche).  If a
periodical article is available on both formats, we reserve the
right to request that students "screen the article" on the fiche
before requesting a hard copy to check out.
Our high volume month approached 1000 microfiche copies.  We
were recently able to reduce the price of a copy to 5 cents to
encourage the less labor intensive delivery provided by the
aforementioned system of using the microforms.
Since we purchased the GREAT AMERICAN WRITERS SERIES in 1984,
hundreds of students preparing literary research reports have
used these New York Times articles.  One of the indexes is now
completely worn out.  Although many providers of microfiche
products have liberal replacement policies, we have found that
the microfiche hold up better than the printed indexes.
All of the microfiche currently used in our library are 24x
except COREFICHE  (48x?).  We received offers of free readers as
businesses moved from microfiche as a record keeping format.
Most of these "donated readers" had COM lens with greater
magnification than was needed for the products we use.  Lens are
now hard to find. We paid around $70 (back when we were able to
find them.)
CONCLUSION:  As an archival medium, the microfiche format is
ideal for high school use because of product availability, break-
out factor, and permanence. (Not to mention self service,
storage, and retrieval). A good reader/printer is necessary to
accomplish user receptivity.  As record keeping format,
microfiche is no longer deemed satisfactory because of the
limited search and retrieval capability.
kbtilson@sacam.oren.ortn.edu

LM_NET Archive Home