Do the teachers know how to use the Macintosh for their own productivity
(communications to students, parents, and administrators as well as for
instructional communications?) If they are proficient on the computer,
this should transfer to successful curriculum integration with their
students in the lab. Staff development is the key. Once the teachers reach
a level of comfort, then they can transfer it to their students. One idea
I use when training teachers in Macintosh skills, is to have them discuss
with the group, how that skill can be used professionally and
instructionally. Sometimes, the workshop trainer needs to have some ideas
to present for integration as a springboard for discussion. Kid Pix and
ClarisWorks can integrate into ANY subject area. I have  *many* ideas for
staff and student training, as well as curriculum integration, if you need
further assistance. I will be happy to help.

Barbara A. Jansen
Librarian, Live Oak Elementary
Round Rock, Texas
bjansen@tenet.edu
512/331-0996

On Tue, 18 Jan 1994, Matt Kollasch wrote:

> I would like ideas on how to help a school use their
> under-utilized Macintosh computer lab.  The 11 stand-alone
> computers have ClarisWorks and Kidpix.  The school is
> Grade K-5, 280 students.  They do have modem, but no
> Internet access.
>
> There is some inertia on the part of the teachers, but I
> don't think that is the biggest problem. The principal
> seems to think that the teachers don't realize how much
> the computers can be of help to their teaching and need ideas
> that tied to the curriculum.  She wants
> to make it work.
>
> In addition to staff development ideas, I'd appreciate any
> ideas you have on making this a success story.  Of course,
> I plan to involve the school librarian!
>
> Can you help us with your expertise?  I will be talking to
> the principal again in a week.
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration.
>
> Matt Kollasch
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^
>             Matthew A. Kollasch, Director
>             Instructional Resources & Technology Services
>             College of Education  SEC 222
>             University of Northern Iowa
>             Cedar Falls, Iowa  50614-0609
>             319.273.6066  fax 319.273.6997