I have found that 7th and 8th grade students can do just fine on the
regular versions of both TOM and MAS.  Also, many of the periodicals are
appropriate for the type of research they are doing, although I know there
are some titles aimed specifically at that age level on the junior
versions.  I think the junior versions should be for 4-6.

I also liked Readers' Guide Abstracts when I worked in a school where we
used it.  It has great searching capabilities - from the simplest to quite
sophisticated.  The teaching materials that come with it are good.  Also,
there is a sample of a bibliographic citation for an abstract.  We told
the kids they could use the abstract when we didn't have the magazine OR
if the abstract contained the information they needed.

On Thu, 20 Jan 1994, Global SchoolNet Fdn (FrEdMail) wrote:

> Newsgroups: schl.sig.lmnet
> From: sn07942@llwnet.ll.pbs.org (Harborfields HS)
> Subject: Re: CD ROM INFO.
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 16:57:45 GMT
>
> Winona Middle School (0681wms@TIES.K12.MN.US) wrote:
> : My middle school kids love TOM Jr. too.   I'd also recommend it for upper
> : elementary.
>
> : Mary Alice Andeson
>
> I think the most useful of the magazine data bases is Readers Guide
> Abstracts.  To begin with, it operates with a collection of magazines you
> most likely already subscribe to. Secondly, the abstracts are excellently
> written.  The most probable problem is kids quoting the abstracts instead of
> the original articles.  It is searchable on various levels of difficulty,
> including a full, on-line search style mode.  And, if you have a modem, you
> can update your search  without paying more than the phone charges.
>
> I know this sounds like a commerical, but it's the best thing we have in
> CD-ROM.  And there's more, but I'll keep this short.

LM_NET Archive Home