When we automated our three new elementary schools, the librarians
reported that the students began to speak librarian jargon.  In years
past, students had to learn words like "author", "title", "publisher",
"subject", etc... from a position on a card.  With automation the author
is labeled "Author" on the screen.  Now the students ask about authors,
publishers etc... with the appropriate vocabulary.  Learning the
vocabulary is the first step to learning something new.  We are very
encouraged about a new generation of knowledgeable library users.

Barry M. Bishop
Pasadena ISD, Texas
bbishop@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home