I believe you will find that New York Public Library publishes a book
which is a bibliography of books and other materials relating to the
African American experience.

NYPL operates the wonderful Schomberg Collection, and the Countee Cullen
Branch on West 136 St. maintains (or used to) a reference collection of
children's books called the James Weldon Johnson Collection. I'll bet a
call or letter to the Children's Librarian there would prove fruitful.

Mark Gordon
Oceana High School
Coalition of Essential Schools
401 Paloma Avenue
Pacifica, CA 94044
mgordon@ctp.org

 On
Tue, 25 Jan 1994, Marsha Korobkin wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 1994, Gloria Bowman wrote:
>
> > I have a request from a school system, K-12,  for a comprehensive
> > listing of African-American materials/resources/literature.  The
> > system is interested in making available to their schools a "core
> > collection" of materials.  Does anyone out there know/have a source
> > that would be useful?  Thanks in advance for your consideration of
> > the question!!
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Gloria Bowman
> > Reference Librarian
> > Education Information Services
> > North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
> > Raleigh, North Carolina
> >
> Gloria,
> I don't know how comprehensive they are, but the L.A. Public library has
> had some very nice bibliographies in the past.  Have y ou checked other
> large public library systems, such as the New York Public Library or
> Enoch Pratt in Baltimore.  Also, how about some of the library publishing
> houses like Libraries Unilimted, Scarecrow, or MacFarlane?
>
>           . . . . . Marsha K.
>
> Marsha Korobkin
> Librarian, Pt. Loma High School
> San Diego, California