The Role of the Teacher-Librarian

Lately there have been a number of postings related to the general topic
of "How do we tell people what we do in school libraries -- how can we
persuade them that what we do is crucial to the whole learning process".
Without pretending to have a definitive answer, I would like to offer the
following item which was developed and adopted this month by the
Teacher-Librarians in my small school district in northern British Columbia:

The Role of the Teacher-Librarian                                in the
Peace River South School District

1. CO-OPERATIVE PLANNING AND TEACHING
        1.1  Plan with classroom teachers to integrate information skills
and multi-media into curriculum units
        1.2  Co-operatively teach and evaluate selected units with
classroom teachers

2. TEACHER AND CURRICULUM SUPPORT
        2.1  Locate resources to support classroom teachers' instructional needs
        2.2  Support the classroom teacher in the development,
presentation, enrichment and enhancement of curriculum and skills
development

3.      INFORMATION AND RESEARCH SKILLS
        3.1  Develop, with staff, a skills continuum
        3.2  Teach students to locate, organize, analyze and present
information using a variety of media

4.      READING PROMOTION
        4.1  Encourage students to read for pleasure, as well as for information
        4.2  Provide an inviting environment for reading and/or studying

5.      PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
        5.1  Keep informed and up to date on the most recent technological
and instructional resources
        5.2  Develop and maintain technological and instructional skills

6.      LEADERSHIP
        6.1  Provide leadership in the implementation of curriculum
integration and co-operatively planned programs
        6.2     Participate as an active member of school and staff
committees to develop and implement school goals.

7.      ADVOCACY AND STAFF RELATIONS
        7.1     Demonstrate the necessity of the library-resource centre program
        7.2  Advocate co-operative planning, curriculum integration and
resource based learning to administrators

8.      FACILITY MANAGEMENT
        8.1     Plan and organize efficient use of space, time and resources
        8.2     Maintain and supervise a safe, orderly environment
conducive to learning

9.      RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
        9.1     Build and maintain a quality collection of materials to
support and enrich curricula and programs
        9.2     Make effective use of monetary resources
        9.3     Make effective use of human resources:  staff, students
and/or volunteers

10.     NETWORKING
        10.1    Network with other school to share ideas and resources
        10.2 Network with the community, other educational institutions
and government institutions.

This document formalized what most of us had been doing all along and
helps demonstrate the value of the library programs as budget cuts loom.

Gerry Clare, Teacher-Librarian
Dawson Creek, B.C.  Canada
gclare@cln.etc.bc.ca

LM_NET Archive Home