On Thu, 27 Jan 1994, Ruie Chehak wrote:

> I recently attended a workshop that included information about connecting
> schools to Internet and America On Line.  Many of the schools in our are
> going with AOL.  I like it too.  One teacher reacted when I spoke of my
> interest:  "Great, let me know when we get hooked up and I'll use school
> time rather than my own account." This kind of response makes me nervous.
> How do we monitor this?  Any suggestions?  Please repy to CHEHAKR@CRPL.
> CEDAR-RAPIDS.LIB.IA.US  Thanks for your help! Ruie

Ruie,
I have not yet had that experience, but I am not surprised at the
response you got.  I guess one solution might be that whoever's budget
pays the bill, gets to monitor the time online with all the passwords!  I
don't know if AOL has a mechinism for restricting time for each
password.  It would be worth inquiring about and suggesting.  Prodigy
only lets one password access the service after a certain local time
(Prodigy school service which I am beta testing).  This would restrict
your teacher from using up all the school's time on personal business.
Prodigy's home service allows the holder of the main password to restrict
access on pay services of other password holders.  (I am not necessarily
advocating Prodigy's use -- just that some of the potential problems may
have been semi-solved).  Also, if you restrict the teacher's use of AOL's
chat mode, she may lose interest!

          . . . . . Marsha K.

Marsha Korobkin
Librarian, Pt. Loma High School