Dear friends,
I absolutely agree.  I've been lurking recently since I'm new on the
list, but I just have to put in my two cents' worth.  We have been
automated with circulation and catalog since the fall of 1990 with
Winnebago and love them, both for their training, their product, and
their unflagging (sp?) cheerfulness and promptness in returning calls for
tech support.  We also have networked to the same workstations CD-RO"M
WilsonDisc RGA and Book Review Digest, SIRS, index and full text, LCSH,
and Discovering Authors as well as PCUSA and PCGlobe on DOS.  We were
networked on LANSmart, but are just now trying to convert to Novell.  It
has been an experience, as usual when one is netowrking various
products.  I'll let you know when it's all up and running on Novell. At
the moment it is the dedicated CD server software that is the problem.
Please come by and see us on the way home from ALA in LA if you wish.
Lois Roberts
Bishop O'Dowd HS Library
9500 Stearns Avenue
Oakland, CA  94605   lrobert@eis.calstate.edu
On Sat, 29 Jan  1994, Xavier HS wrote:

> Reasons to Automate:  Please, please, if you ever intend to share your
> records with anyone, don't go "down and dirty."  Manual entry will solve an
> immediate problem, but if you don't have MARC records, real, full, MARC
> records, you might as well forget the whole thing.  What you don't do right
> the first time, you (or someone else) will have to do again.  And it is
> worth your while investigating vendors thoroughly before you do the recon.
> The cheapest price is not always the best choice.  There are myriad options
> available now, and it is wisest to speak to those of us who have "been
> there" for advice.  No sense in repeating mistakes.  That's what this NET is
> all about, after all.

LM_NET Archive Home