OUr administration is into the "hats off" policy also and I am glad that
you asked the question because it gave me another reason to look it up.

Found in MANNERS, CUSTOMS, AND OBSERVANCES: Their origin and signification
by Leopold Wagner  London william Heinemann 1894 (republished by Gale
Research Co. 1968)

page 64 #103
  "Uncovering the head, as a mark of respect on entering another's house or
a place of worship, is a custom handed down to us from the days of
chivalry, when a knight doffed his helmet to show that he relied upon the
protection of his host as long as he remained under his roof, on the one
hand, and that he was not afraid of being attacked in the House of God on
the other.  Owing to the peaceable nature of their vocation in life, women
have always been exempted from uncovering their heads in the like
circumstances. (Hey....this is a quote guys!!! :_) Raising the hat in the
street has a similar origin.  A mediaeval knight always stood bareheaded in
the presence of a lady."

It goes on to talk about churches, etc.

Hats off to everyone who uses LM_NET!!!  :)

Katie Bailey
Seabreeze High School
Daytona Beach, FL
baileyk@mail.firn.edu