> I've tried several of your wonderful suggestions lately, and been stopped
> at the "password" prompt.  When you give the list a good source, maybe
> you should think through the steps you go through to get there, and let us
> know how to access it.  Thanks!  I love this list!
>
> Marge Chasteen
> m_chasteen@mentor.unh.edu

Marge [and all],

I think the problem is not passwords, but the means of accessing the
site.  An inappropriate access will usually trigger password
requests or a mistyped login will trigger a password request.

When I give site information and a login/password is required, I
include that information.   Also, some systems have public and
nonpublic areas.  Some of these are passworded.  We just have to live
with it.

I haven't come across any free, public sites, with the exception of
ftp sites, that require both login *and* passwords as long as the
correct access program is used.

FTP uses the login: anonymous  and the password is your email address
up to and including the @ sign.  The system fills in the rest.

Sometimes the means of access determines the login.  For example,
LC's MARVEL system.

The address is:  marvel.loc.gov

If you telnet to the address, a login is required.  It is 'marvel'.
If you type marvel wrong, a password is requested, hit enter and try
again.

If you gopher to the address, no login is required.

If you have problems, it helps to know what the site is and how you
tried to get there.

Cheers,

Dan Robinson
dan@info.hwwilson.com