Dear LM_NETters,

A few days ago I had asked for your help in locating
a computer program that would assist me in doing
curriculum mapping for my school.  A program that
was mentioned by three folks was Inspiration 4.1.
I have included comments on this program in this
HIT.
A couple of folks suggested that I contact
other people to inquire about programs that might
be in the works; ex. David Loertscher, Mike
Eisenberg.  Inspiration was the only specific
computer program mentioned.  Also, two people
mentioned that their circ/cat systems did
curriculum mapping, but I think perhaps they
might have been thinking of collection mapping.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to
my request.  If anyone else has additional info
on curriculum mapping, please contact me and I will
post another HIT.

Inspiration comments:

Peter Milbury said:
"One of the most highly recommended in our region is
Inspiration.  It takes a short time to learn, and
has lots of formats."
PMILBURY@ERICIR.SYR.EDU

Allison Williams said:
"Try Inspiration 4.1 available for both Mac and
Windows through Educational Resources
(1-800-624-2926) for $95.You can get a
free demo version from the company but I don't have
their # at home."
awilliam@pen.k12.va.us

Margaret Stimson said:
"I am using a program called Inspiration (version 4.1)
that impresses me with its ease of use. My computer
shy husband has even succeeded in using it for a
business presentation that required a flow chart.

The software comes in both MAC and MSDOS versions.
I believe the cost was about $70(US). I purchased one
for each school in our area through a local supplier
for approx. $90 (CAN)each  which was less
than going directly to the company that produced it
(also called Inspiration and located in Oregon if my
memory serves me well).

The Inspiration software serves as a tool
for the construction of graphic organizers such
as webs, maps, flow charts with the added ability
of converting the web into a traditional outline
form. Where I would see it being useful is during
the actual act of brainstorming so that ideas appear
in a somewhat organized manner.

The resulting graphical screens are attractive in
appearance and easily modified so that your printout
or computer screen view could be used for a
multitude of purposes such as unit planning,
presentations, inclusion with student
research as an overview.....

Your need to access large amounts of data, sort it,
or play with it in other ways than graphically, would
be limited."
mstimson@minet.gov.mb.ca

Thanks, again.
Evie Funk