Our school is being wired this summer for our new computer network.
We are also working on automating the library catalog.  There will be
a separate file server for the library system (we will be using
Dynix).  The challenge is that the engineers for the network seem to
want to put the library file server in the locked closet with the
network server, even though the librarians want the servers (one for
the high school and one for the elem. school) in the library offices.
 I am at the elementary school, and I worry about having to leave the
library to perform tasks that must be done at the server.  I do not
want to have to close the library to do these things, nor do I want
to be forced to do those tasks before or after school forever.
The last word I got was that "we don't have to decide yet, because
the library office is within [an acceptable distance] from the
network file server..... so when the time comes we can put the
library server in either place ..... just in case you change your
mind."  This may mean that the librarians do get to choose, but also
could mean that we're being put off.  So, I'm wondering if those of
you who have already automated could please send me a note telling
me:
1)  Where is your file server located?
2)  Are you happy with this location?
3)  What advice would you like to offer us regarding this situation?

Thank you very much in advance - I know I always get excellent help
from this group!

Beth McCheyne
K-6 Librarian
South Seneca Central School