Hi folks,

What an interesting time to be reading LM_Net! I have really been enjoying
the discussion about whether it is acceptable to use expressions like
"pissed off". Having had my writing edited for words like "damn" and
"crappy," I am sort of sensitive to these issues.

The beauty of the responsibility which accompanies free speech is that not
only do you get to say what you'd like in the way you'd like to say it, but
other people have the right to take you to task for your word choices and
ideas.

And you then have the right to defend yourself.

And then other people can comment about your defense.

I have had the opportunity to work in a totalitarian country for five years
which strictly censored all communications. Believe me, a few obscenities,
some disturbing art, and a little junk mail is a small price to pay for
free speech!

As educators, I hope we are instilling two concepts in our children:

1) The rights and responsibilities which accompany the First Amendment
2) How the language of our messages can be as (or more) powerful as our
thoughts - for better or worse. I am guessing most of us have already
forgotten what the writer was originally "pissed off" about.

I also hope as educators we try to model the language and philosophies we
want our children to adopt. I hear in the playgrounds, hallways and
shopping malls language from children that would make a sailor blush. When
I can, I do point out to the user of such language that it offends me and
that it is not appropriate for pubic use in the kind of community in which
I want to live. Does it help? Who knows, but I can't believe that it has
hurt.

IMHO,

Doug

Doug Johnson, District Media Supervisor | Courage is not the absence
I.S.D. 77, Mankato Public Schools       | of fear, but rather the judgment
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713         | that something else is more
Voice: 507-387-7698                     | important than fear.
Fax: 507-387-2496                       |               -Ambrose Redmoon
E-mail: palsdaj@vax1.mankato.msus.edu   |
or:     djohns1@west.isd77.k12.mn.us
http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/staffdir/staff2/Johnson_Doug.html

LM_NET Archive Home