From: shoskins@pen.k12.va.us (Sylvia H. Hoskins)
Subject: Re: Thirty days...
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 22:57:50 GMT

We have been using the Accelerated Reader program for several
years on our library network. You purchase the test disks from
the company, children read books which are on the test list and
come in and take tests on them, accumulating points for correct
answers.  We require a minimum 75% comprehension level on the
tests.  There is also a STAR diagnostic program, which we don't
have.  One of our schools uses this as their whole reading
program with 60 mins. of silent reading in school each day and
30 mins. at home.  They have sent teachers for special training
and are an Accelerated Reader Renaissance School.  Their
reading scores have come up and almost all students are reading
at or above grade level, with a minimum 85% comprehension
required.

This program requires a financial commitment (disks are $76
each with 50 tests on each) to disks, supporting books,
classroom libraries, and computer equipment to support the
program.

---
Sylvia Hoskins  "Librarians are ushers through the gateway to knowledge."

LM_NET Archive Home