I think the reason so many people seem to be discouraged with Laserdiscs is
due to the fact that they are trying to circulate them.  This particular
technology is best suited for housing in a particular classroom where it is
ready for use when needed.  These discs contain so much information the
teacher needs to have time to plan out the frame or chapter numbers to be
included in each lesson plan.  They are not like videos -- meant to be played
through from beginning to end (although there are some that do that).

I don't think we should play the funeral dirge for LDs just yet.  Maybe DVD
will replace them, but not right now.  We still have teachers using
filmstrips and 16mm films for very effective lessons, and images from the LDs
are great for student multimedia presentations.

Jean Nebel, Library Media Teacher
Gage and Central Middle Schools
Riverside CA

jnebel@aol.com