Recently I called Advantage Learning to find out when they are putting
out the newest Master Booklist on Disk.  I have always used this
inexpensive master list of all AR tests to create a "catalog" of tests
and books that are available in the library.  I liked it because you
could create a simple,customized list that includes the test number,
title, author, points, and reading levels of tests available to
students. However, the best feature lets you add a custom column and I
use this to indicate which tests I also have books for.  Both students
and teachers liked being able to look in my AR notebook to quickly check
to see if a book was AR or if we had the book available.  The masterlist
was cheap ($15) and once you enter your information, it was a snap to
update and print a new list each time you order new tests or books.

Imagine how disappointed I was when Advantage Learning called me back
with the news that they have "enhanced" the master booklist and added
many new features.  With the new masterlist, we will be able to search
by subject and also we will be able use the masterlist to pick and
choose 50 tests at random so that Advantage Learning can create
customized test disks for us.  (Cost of a Customized test disk:  double
that of a regular test disk -- $150.00)

Why am I disappointed?  You guessed it.  The "new" masterlist will cost
$90.00 and comes on 5 diskettes.  Worse news: after this fall, it will
only be available on CD-ROM.  (This is so you can take advantage of the
customized test disk feature).  Don't forget, you will still have to buy
this $90.00 disk periodically in order to keep it updated with the
latest test titles.

I asked Advantage Learning why they didn't make this new Masterlist
available, but also continue to keep the old, simple, single diskette,
master booklist of tests available for those of us who just want to keep
up a catalog of available books and tests.  I explained that they are
leaving those of us without a CD-ROM high and dry with a booklist that
we can't update after this fall.  I explained that a lot of use don't
want the customized disk feature and really don't want to pay $90.00 for
a lot of features when we just want a booklist.

Customer service at Advantage Learning said that if enough people voiced
concern that maybe the development department would consider making both
types of booklists available.

If you use the old master booklist on disk and don't have a CD-ROM or if
you just need a simple booklist and not a $90.00 full-featured program,
PLEASE call Advantage Learning at 1-800-338-4204 and voice your concern.
Please tell them that you want them to continue to offer the old version
of Master Booklist on diskette in addition to the new version.

Thanks,

Becky
--
 Becky Smith       Rusk ISD
 District Media Coordinator
 Rusk, TX    bsmith @ lcc.net

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST