A couple of weeks ago I asked for ideas for activities to go with ten
different picture books.  The following are the suggestions I got from the
list plus the ones that my teachers and I came up with.  By far, my
favorite is making ice cream when we read _Duke_.

Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair by Patricia Polacco
        1.  Create a written/drawn ad for this or another book
        2.  Write and perform a television commercial for your
            favorite book.
        3.  Use with the Polacco story in the 3rd grade LA book
        4.  Find out more about Patricia Polacco
        5.  Read some other Polacco books

Duke, the Dairy Delight Dog by Lisa Campbell Ernst
        1.  Make ice cream in a baggie. (Recipes attached)
        2.  Draw a picture of an animal which could represent your
            favorite dessert
        3.  Graphing--pets, dogs, ice cream, ways to eat ice cream, etc.

Grandmothers Pigeon by Louise Erdrich
        1.  Letter writing
        2.  Balloon Messages
        3.  Writing--What would it be like to take a trip on a
            porpoise?
        4.  Could be used in conjunction with Mr. Putter and Tabby in
            the 2nd grade LA book (we have HB, 1998)
        5.  Make a pet rock using paint and wiggle eyes
        6.  Bring in and share a collection you have

Lillys Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
        1.  Make tasty cheese snacks (Recipe suggestion from Mailbox
            attached)
        2.  Make Movie Star glasses
        3.  Students wear Movie Star sunglasses to school
        4.  Write a letter to a teacher
        5.  Students make a purple purse and fill it with pictures of
            the items Lilly had (might also include one item of their own)

The Magic Maguey by Tony Johnston
        1.  Use at Christmas w/ custom unit--make some sort of Christmas
            craft
        2.  Create a Save the Maguey poster

Minty : A Story of Young Harriet Tubman by Alan Schroeder
        1.  Use with the Pinkney story The Patchwork Quilt in the 3rd
            grade LA book
        2.  Read in February during Black History Month

Mountain Wedding by Faye Gibbons
        None so far

Nine for California by Sonia Levitin
        1.  Great Mail Race
        2.  Bag with items theyd take for a 21 day trip to ???
        3.  Use in conjunction with a family unit--bring in five items
            your family would need if you were going on a trip.

What Newt Could Do for Turtle by Jonathan London
        1.  Friendship pins
        2.  Read the story, but stop before the resolution and have
            students predict the ending.
        3.  Write a class book with ways Newt could help Turtle

Wilma Unlimited by Kathleen Krull
        1.  Write a letter to children in the hospital
        2.  Discuss the Olympics
        3.  Design a medal for something you have overcome
        4.  Participate in a Reading Olympics
        5.  Do WWW research on Wilma Rudolph, the author Kathleen Krull,
            illustrator David Diaz, or the book itself

Lip-Smackin Cheese Cookies
(Makes about 30 Cookies)

Ingredients:
3/4 c. softened margarine or butter     1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt                           1 egg, slightly beaten
3 c. shredded Swiss cheese, divided

Directions:
        In a large bowl, stir together the butter, the salt, 2 1/2 cups of
the shredded cheese, and the flour until well blended.  Shape the dough
into one-inch balls.  Place the balls about two inches apart on an
ungreased baking sheet.  Flatten each ball into a circle that is about
1/4-inch thick.  Lightly brush the tops of the cookies with the beaten
egg; then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.  Bake at 425 degrees for
10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Primary Mailbox, Aug/Sept. 1998

Ice Cream in a Baggie
(For individual servings)

Ingredients:
1 small Ziplock Bag     1 large Ziplock Bag (gallon size)
1/2 c. milk             1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Ice (for freezing)      2 tbsp. rock salt for freezing

Directions:
        Place milk, sugar, and vanilla in the small bag and seal.  Fill
the large bag 1/2 to 3/4 full of ice and add the salt.  Place the small
bag in the large bag and seal.  Shake the bag until the frozen.  Be
careful when opening the bag containing the ice cream so that salt will
not get in.

*This can also be made using 1/2 c. *purchased* whole chocolate milk and
1/4 tsp. vanilla. (No sugar needed)

            Cheryl Skiles, Librarian <cskiles@mail.win.org>
        John Weldon Elementary :  A Year-Round Elementary School
             Francis Howell School District St. Charles, MO
                 http://www.fhsd.k12.mo.us/John_Weldon/