I couldn't help but respond to this thread.  I have posted before and been
very open about the fact that I am not a librarian and I do know the
difference between myself and those of you who are credentialed teachers
and have worked to earn an MLS.  I also agree that librarians are the best
qualified to run a library.

Linda articulated the position many of us in California are in very well. I
certainly appreciate all of the hard work it takes to go through school and
get an education.  I, too, went through the Library Technology courses at
San Bernardino Valley College and I know others who are currently in that
program.  I have a family, and though I have been encouraged to continue my
education and get the MLS, I am choosing not to for my family's sake.
 Right now, they need more of my attention than going to school and working
would allow.

Library education is not required in my district to be hired.  It is not
even required at the middle school level to be a clerk.  Before I committed
to spend two years to get this certificate and be a paraprofessional I knew
that I would not need it to get my job. Why bother?  Because I love my job
and I want to do the best I can at it.  I am so grateful that I did go to
school and I am sure that my students are better off for it, but not as
well-off as they would be if they had a librarian, and that was one of the
things I learned in school.  Until I began getting an education I didn't
know the difference!  Now I encourage the other elementary clerks in my
district (and some middle-school clerks, too) to take the certificate
program.  Out of three positions that were available I got only one job
offer even though I was the only applicant with library education and
experience (as a volunteer) because the other two principals had already
decided on which of their PTA parents/personal acquaintances they wanted to
hire.  One of them does nothing but complain about her job every time I see
her. I can't say that I understand all of your frustrations, but I can
relate to some of them and we are on the same side.

For those who don't appreciate the difference between a paraprofessional
and professional, their lack of education is showing.  What can you do?
 Try to stimulate a motivation to learn, and if that fails, learn to live
with it.  Or without it. Face it, there are always going to be people who
don't want to be confused by the facts no matter what you do.
 Administrators, school board members, and library clerks alike.

I pray that many of you will consider Linda Peterson's words about creating
a class distinction on the list, because this list is a valuable resource
to certified and uncertified alike. I think we can have a mutual
appreciation for one another.  I wonder if writing this will make a
difference to any of you and why I am bothering to write at all and it
occurs to me that I am hoping for acceptance from you.  Not as "fellow
librarians," but as fellow library-lovers.  As people who care about
students and schools.  Already I have gotten so much support from the
wonderful people on this list.  Please, let's not divide into a them-and-us
mentality.  There is enough of that in our world today as it is. Libraries
and students, the objects of our mutual affections, would suffer more.

Julia Christian
Library Media Assistant
Monroe Elementary School
Riverside, CA