--------------55334C9BF27C5C2DA20F8F6E

Okay, I can see I'm not going to be able to stay out of this one.

I was in a K--8 district with 3 1/2 hour a day aides in the elementary
libraries and a full time librarian with full time aide in each of the
two middle schools.  The district decided to cut the middle school
library aides to 3 1/2 hours and the aides went to the superintendent
and told her that if they really wanted to save money they should can
the librarians because the aides did all the REAL work anyway.

The district did both (budgets were really tight that year).  Then they
asked me to come back for one year working both schools (one week at one
the next week at the other).  Then they decided to have the aides work
only the weeks I was not at the schools and I moved to another district.

Are you still with me?  Well, the aide who had been the most vocal about
the uselessness of librarians moved to a full time position at an
alternative school which does not have a librarian, in the same district
to which I later moved, and recently called me:  she is looking for a
transfer to a school with a librarian--BECAUSE SHE ISN'T PAID ENOUGH TO
HANDLE ALL THE HASSELS WITH TEACHERS, ETC!

He who laughs last...

A building with books and no librarian is a materials storage warehouse,
it takes a librarian to make it a learning center (yes, I am willing to
agree that some library aides become self taught librarians--but let me
tell you, they are being cheated by their districts!).

mailbox:/g|/Program
Files/Netscape/Users/marions/mail/Inbox?id=199804301459.HAA11233@mx3.home.com&number=402625&part=1.10
--
Marion the Librarian