This is my first hit--bear with me. Thank you to all who =

gave me book title.  Unfortunately, most of them were harder =

than the teacher was looking for. =

**********************
Most people mentioned Gary Soto, of course.  =

Crazy Weekend  (=B3The reading level is low, but it is fast =

paced and funny.=B2)

=B3How about the books of Gary Soto. He writes everything from =

picture books to YA and Adult fiction and poetry. The =

several that I'm thinking of that are about right are Taking =

Sides (Tomando partido, in Spanish) and The Cat's Meow (El =

maullido del gato, in Spanish). There are several others,
(one of them is The Skirt) as well as Novio Boys, which is =

actually a short play. His plots tend to revolve around =

Mexican-Americans in the Fresno, CA
area.=B2

**********************
Felita (mentioned many times), In Nueva York, The Magic =

Shell, and Going Home by Nicholasa Mohr

***********************
Sparrow Hawk Red by Ben Mikaelson has a Mexican-American boy =

as the main
character.

 ***********************
Here are the ones I got from the Permabound CD by searching =

a reading level
of 3-4 with Mexican-Americans and Fiction as subjects.

Alicia's Treasure by Diane Bertrand
The "Josefina" books by Valerie Tripp (part of the American =

Girls series)
Call Me Consuela by Ofelia Lachtman
Cat's Meow by Gary Soto
A Gift from Papa Diego by Benjamin Saenz
Local News by Gary Soto (a collection of short stories)
Mama's Birthday Surprise by Elizabeth Spurr
Maria: a Christmas story by Theodore Taylor
Radio Man =3D Don Radio by Arthur Dorros
Roni's Dream Boy by Janet Quin-Harkin
The Skirt by Gary Soto
Tomas and the Library Lady by Pat Mora
Flight of the Hummingbirds by Alma Flor Ada

Same search, only using Puerto Ricans and Fiction
Alphabet City Ballet by Erika Tamar
Big Idea by Ellen Schecter
Felita by Nicholasa Mohr
Gracias the Thanksgiving Turkey by Joy Cowley
Hola, California by Michael Rose Ramirez (Chana! series)
My Name is Maria Isabel by Alma Flor Ada
My Aunt Otilia's Spirits by Richard Garcia

Same search, using Spain and Fiction
Faster than the Bull by Lutz Braun

Same search, using Guatemala and Fiction
The Most Beautiful Place in the World by Ann Cameron

Same search, using Central America and Fiction
Long Road by Luis Garay
Rain Player by David Wisniewski

Hoppin' Halloween by Michael Rose Ramirez (part of the =

Chana! series)
 =

*****************************
The teacher might try Breakaway by Kimberly Griffiths =

Little.  It's anexcellent title about a boy who wants to =

play on the soccer team, but he can't afford it.  Girls will =

love it, too, as the girls in the neighborhood form a team =

that takes on the haughty established team of only boys.  =

It's a
wonderful example of stories for both boys and girls!

-- =

 Nina Jackson
Franklin MS, Long Beach, CA
njackson_lib@lbusd.k12.ca.us

In literature as in love, we are astonished at what is =

chosen by
others.--Andre Maurois

Strong school libraries increase student achievement.
                -California School Library Association