Here are the replies to my question pertaining to joint American History
and Literature projects. Thanks to everyone who replied and a special
thanks to the people who faxed me things.
Sandy

##################

 I am a MLS student. For an assignment this term, I had to write a lesson
that involved teaching a subject and integrating it with information literacy
lessons. I chose the Salem witch trials, which incorporated teaching the
Crucible (American Lit.) and the trials themselves with their concomitent
association with other "witch-hunts" in American history. In addition to
studying 17th century life and the Puritan's beliefs and how they contributed
to the hysteria of the times, the students studied Miller's play as
literature in relation to the times (the McCarthy trials) that inspired it.
The role of the SLMS in this was to teach the students the difference between
primary and secondary sources (the students accessed the actual trial
transcripts); how to locate them (the LOC  American Memory website is great
for this); how to evaluate them for authority, bias, and usefulness; and how
to effectively conduct searches online.  It was a unit that combined the
efforts of the history and language arts teachers, and the SLMS.  I hope this
helps.

####################

The American Memory Collection at the Library of Congress has great
information and lesson plans.  The link to the plans is:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpedu/index.html

The main site is:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amhome.html

###################

I haven't done this as I am no longer teaching courses
but suggest relationship of literature to a particular
time in history  - how they relate and how the time of
history influenced the writers.  Let us have a HIT on
this.   Thanks.

##################

Our American History/American Lit teachers have collaberated on 2 years for
the past several years.  They do a Depression Unit in December where they take
the Jr. Class (these courses are required at theis grade level) off campus for
the day.  They interview community members who lived through that time, watch
a movie, make burma shave signs, and have barley soup and bread for lunch.
The students really enjoy it and come away with an appreciation for what they
have now.  The other unit they do is one the 60's (in the spring).  This is
set up for certain nights of the week where the students return to school and
watch movies set in the 60's or made in the 60's.  Students are required to
watch at least 2 movies and then write a short summary of what they learned.
Popcorn is served at the movies.

#################

What about doing something on the Harlem Renisance and the 1920s?  That is
our big research project for juniors.  Visit my website listed below and
go into the English department and then Harlem Renisance.

Maryland Technology Academy Fellow, 1999
http://www.tcps.k12.md.us/ehs/lib/lib.html

################

A book you might want to know about:

Literature Connections to American History 7-12/ Resources to Enhance and
Entice by Lynda Adamson. Libraries Unlimited 1998.

Sorry no actual lesson plans for you. Try looking at sone webquests or the
Pacbell site, perhaps?
Good Luck!

################

This site has alot of integrated lessons.

Library of Congress Learning Page at http://learning.loc.gov/learn

################

Right now I am working with a US history and Amer. Lit
teacher in a collaborative workshop using the American
Memory Collection of the Library of Congress.  We've been to
four inservices learning about the Amer. Memory Collections
and having time to plan.  What we are working on is a unit
on the Jazz Age: From Optimism to Pessimism.
     We are using resources on AMC and other resources to
have students study that time period.  The US history
teacher is having her students work in groups to make
newspapers using the materials that they find in research.
Each paper must have two articles on politics, two on world
events, two on social issues, etc.  The Amer Lit. teacher is
building this into her unit on the Great Gatsby.  Her kids,
prior to reading Gatsby, are making a Gatsby scrapbook using
the images they find on AMC.
    We don't have it finished yet, but maybe this will give
you an idea.

Try Great Depression and Grapes of Wrath.
The 20's and Great Gatsby
WWI and Guns of August or All Quiet on the Western Front

Sandra Eichelberger, LMS
West Seneca East Senior High School
West Seneca, NY
eichel@buffnet.net (home)