Thanks for all of the wonderful student library aide applications.  I was
asked by many to send a HIT if I got replies.  This is my first try at
posting, so here goes:

Library Aide Application
Must be returned to Mrs. Lent

Name: Current Grade:

1. Why do you want to become a library aide?
2. Have you ever worked in a library before?
3. How many days of school have you missed so far this year?
4. Have you ever been an office aide or a student aide before?  For whom?
5. What kinds of materials do you like to read?
6. In what clubs or sports are you involved?
7. What do you plan to do when you graduate from Manassas Park High Schoo=
l?
8. Do you work outside of school?  Where?
9. If you work outside of school, what are your major duties?
10. Write the names of 2 teachers who would give you a reference for this
class:
11.

I use media assistants at my middle school. I personally interview the
students and require the recommendation (approval) of their teachers. The
interview questions could easily become an application form. I include th=
following questions:
1) Why do you want to work in the media center?
2) Do you enjoy reading and what types of materials and/or authors do you
like? (This is a good conversation starter and tells me a little about th=
eir
personality i.e. talkative, quiet, articulate, ect.)
3) Where would you find the books with the following call numbers: F LAC
and 932.01 HAS ?(Change these according to your collection or include mor=
e)
4) If someone owes you a fine of .35 and they give you .50, how much chan=
ge
do you owe them? (You would be shocked how many incorrect responses I get=
=2E
This question would be more difficult verbally than on paper)
5) I ask them one or two questions about using the automated search syste=
to locate a book: either on a certain subject, or title.
6) Why is it important that books be shelved in the correct location? (A
no-brainer, but it is a good way to close the interview on a positive not=
and emphasize the importance of what media assistants do in the library.
I have taught at the high school level and if you want teacher
recommendation I would start by checking with the child's English teacher
from the year before. You might consider limiting student helpers to thos=
in 10th grade or up (or higher depending on your circumstances) so that y=
ou
have a year's scholastic record to look at. I don't know if this is exact=
ly
what you're looking for, but I hope it helps some.

We have just this year started to give students a short test when they fi=
ll
out an application to be library aides. I will send you a copy of the
application and test. I hope these help.

Name _______________________________________________  Grade ________

Please list your schedule for this semester:
Period Subject Room Teacher

List the period when you would like to work:

1st Choice ____________  2nd Choice _____________  3rd Choice ___________=
__

List two teachers who know your work habits:

Teacher _______________________________  School ____________________

Teacher _______________________________  School ____________________

Please list an work experience you've had in a library or LRC:

__________________________________________________________________.

__________________________________________________________________.

Why do you want to be a Learning Resource Center aide?

__________________________________________________________________.

__________________________________________________________________.

Name ____________________________________

In what section would you file the following items?
A. Biography B. Fiction C. Short Story D. Magazine
E. Reference F. Non-Fiction G. Paperback

ITEM LETTER
1. Transworld Skateboarding _______
2. B H271 _______
3. F COU _______
4. R 273 WEB _______
5. SS FIC HE _______
6. 001.3 ABE _______
7. 573.4 NOR _______
8. PB F AL _______
9. B A37 _______
10. Time _______

Put these sets of call numbers in order (as they would appear on the shel=
f):

973.77 973.92 973.7 973.75 973.714 973.7
DEN GA BAR MIL DO AN

_________   _________   _________   _________   _________   _________

B B B B B B B
S413 S534 L736 R511 L738 R431 A23

_________   _________   _________   _________   _________   _________

F F F F F F
TOB STE SHO TOL STA STH

_________   _________   _________   _________   _________   _________

     STUDENT ASSISTANT APPLICATION

_________________________    _______   ___________  ___________
NAME PERIOD      DATE       YR. in School

This is the application we use to screen applicants for assistants in our
library. We have close to 2,000 students in our high school with a librar=
staff of two librarians and seven adult library assistants. We have five
areas in the library in which we use student assistants for all periods
during the day as well as some after school who retrieve equipment. Our
student assistants get a 1/2 credit for their semester work here in the
library if they have good work skills, show initiative, & have good
attendance. If not, those students who do not meet these requirements, ar=
sent back to study hall.

1.  Why would you like to be a library assistant?

2.  Do you consider yourself a responsible person? If so, can you think o=
any examples that would demonstrate your sense of responsibility?

3.  Do you miss much school?

4.  What is your grade point average?

5.  Do you have any experience working in a library or in a similar
capacity?
(Perhaps you have worked with AV equip. or computers, or have done typing=
,
filing, etc.)

6.  Do you have any limitations that would restrict you from lifting or
moving equipment?(This information will not be used in determining those
selected, but rather in determining the appropriate tasks to be performed=
 by
those chosen.)

7.  Is there a teacher we could talk to who would recommend you for this
position?

8.  Please feel free to make any comments that you may have.

This is what I use:

 This job offers interested students a chance to gain valuable
organizational skills in tasks such as checking materials in and out,
working with computers; stamping, repairing, reserving, locating and
shelving materials as well as other clerical tasks. It will also give
them a preview of the information management skills they will need when
they enter the work force.

Description

A maximum of four students may receive one-fourth credit per
year for successful participation in library science work. A student
may receive a total of one credit in library science which may be
applied toward graduation.

Library science (one year) - A student may apply for a student
assistant position in the library if they are available at least one
period a day throughout the year. Application considerations include
previous library experience, active use of the library, passing grades,
willingness to learn, flexibility and a positive attitude. Students
will learn the routines of library maintenance: checking materials in
and out, working with the computers, stamping, repairing, reserving,
locating and shelving materials. Students may make inter-library loan
calls, enter data into databases or work on the Media Center web
page. They will do other clerical jobs, including: alphabetizing,
keyboarding, typing, answering the phone, filing, collating, hole
punching and stapling. Students will display an ability to follow
directions, cooperate with other library workers and be of service to
library patrons.

Tasks students perform:

Arrange displays and bulletin boards
Back up computer files
Check materials in and out
Collate and stape worksheets
Deliver materials to classrooms and school office
Enter information into a computer database
File catalogs
Get mail and sort
Help in book processing: Paste on bar codes, date-due slips and
labels; stamp school name; put on mylar jackets
Inventory with hand-held computer device
Keep paper slips and pencils available at various locations
Answer phone
Process inter-library loan materials
Proof World-Wide Web addresses
Proofreading
Read paperback racks
Read shelves so items are in correct order
Read video tapes.
Recommend titles
Shelve materials
Sort magazines in magazine room
Train other students in using computers and locating materials
Troubleshoot CD-ROMs
Typing
Water plants
Zealously publicize the librarys services

Career skills involved

Aptitude for learning
Ability to think clearly
Ability to communicate effectively with all kinds of people
Organization
Energy
Efficiency
Higher order interpretative thinking skills
Positive attitude
Library skills to learn

Check books in and out
Look up students names, material names
Reserve books
Do an inquiry
Renew books
Look at a message, delete a message
Collect fines
Change material status to overdue obligation
Help students locate materials
Locate books for students on reserve list

Magazine barcode procedure

Return and check out Comcat books

Shelve materials
Reference
Non-fiction
Fiction
Biography
Magazines
Video/audio tapes
Vertical files
Application

Write me a letter explaining why you think you would be a good library
assistant. Include the following:

An explanation of why you feel that you are responsible and capable of
being a library student assistant.

A description of your knowledge of computers/technology.

A description of the kind of learner you are.

A description of the kind of worker you are.

A description of your organizational skills.

A description of your research skills.

Tell me what are you currently reading.

Include the names of two faculty members who would recommend you for
this job.

Include the contract that follows this page.

Contract

I will put service to others first.

I will work hard to meet the needs of teachers and students.

I will work on my own homework as a priority; I will remain academically
eligible.

I will follow all library rules.

I will follow directions by all supervising adults in the library.

I will have a positive attitude.

I will do my best in all situations.

Date

Name

Grade

Days and Periods available

Parents signature

Phone

Home address

Reference name & number

Student Media Assistant Evaluation
Check the library skills youve learned

q Check books in and out
q Look up students names, material names
q Reserve books
q Renew books
q Look at a message, delete a message
q Collect fines
q Change material status to overdue obligation
q Help students locate materials
q Locate books for students on reserve list

q Magazine barcode procedure

q Return and check out Comcat books

Shelve books
q Reference
q Non-fiction
q Fiction
q Biography
q Magazines
q Video/audio tapes
q Vertical files

List other skills youve learned:

List skills not listed that you would like to learn:
Student Media Assistant Evaluation

Reliability:

(5) Always dependable
(4) Usually dependable
(3) Reliably follows directions
(2) Careless in following directions
(1) Unsatisfactory

Quality of Work:

(5) Outstanding
(4) Above average
(3) Average
(2) Poor
(1) Unsatisfactory

Initiative:

(5) Displays initiative to a high degree (wants to learn new skills)
(4) Sometimes goes ahead on own (asks about learning new skills)
(3) Performs regular duties only
(2) Weak in regular duties
(1) Unsatisfactory

Work skills:

(5) Models good library behavior
(4) Is courteous to all; communicates effectively
(3) Displays patience
(2) Is organized
(1) Good attendance

Student Media Assistant Evaluation

Attitude:

(5) Very enthusiastic
(4) Shows interest generally
(3) Shows interest in some areas
(2) Lacks interest in work
(1) Unsatisfactory

Cooperation:

(5) Very cooperative
(4) Usually cooperative
(3) Helps only when requested
(2) Doesnt work well with others
(1) Unsatisfactory

Punctuality and Attendance:

(5) Excellent
(4) Very good
(3) Good
(2) Poor
(1) Unsatisfactory

Grading system:

25-30 points A
19-24 points B
14-18 points C 9-13 points D
8-below points F

Mollye Hays, LMS
Jefferson Forest High School, Forest, VA
mhhays@visto.com

__
Visit http://www.visto.com/info, your free web-based communications cente=
r.