Hello all,
At the excellent suggestion of Dr. Sara Wolf, Assistant Professor,
Educational Foundations, Leadership and Technology at Auburn, I have
revised my initial survey to include questions on the impact of the
Information Literacy and ISTE Standards on your library media programs.
Survey and/or open responses are welcome!

I am a MLS candidate at the U. of Maryland, currently doing my practicum
at a Virginia high school library media center. A topic of considerable
debate has been the impact of state "Standards of Learning" on the
entire school community and the library media program in particular. I
have chosen this topic for my final paper, and would like to request
your help.  I have checked the LM_NET archives, and conducted database
searches through ProQuest, The Washington Post, and SLJ Online. These
have yielded volumes of information on state standards, but little on
how they have affected the operation of school library media programs
per se in the respective states.

I would appreciate your response to the following survey, which is
designed to solicit the input of those of you "in the trenches" on
whether, and how, your programs have been impacted by the enactment of
student/school performance standards. I will post a "hit" if there is
sufficient response.  Thank you!

1) At what level is your library media program offered?
        ___ elementary   ___middle school   ___high school
___secondary school

2)  In which state are you located? _________________________________

3) Do your state’s academic standards affect:
        a) student promotion/retention? ___yes   ___ no
        b) school accreditation?   ___yes   ___no
        c) staff incentives for improvement?   ___yes   ___no
        d) staff consequences for poor student performance?___yes ___no
If "yes" on any of the above, please explain briefly:

4)  How has the implementation of state standards impacted your
library/media program?  (Please check all that apply)
        ___performed curriculum mapping to identify needed support
materials
        ___ordered new materials to support specific content areas
        ___increased efforts to encourage teacher/librarian
collaboration
        ___accomplished more teacher/librarian collaboration in support
of standards
        ___ joined a curriculum development/other committee addressing
the standards
        ___increased efforts to teach related information literacy
skills to all students
        ___made changes in LMC schedule to further support
curriculum/identified skills
        ___ other action _____________________________________________
Please add brief explanation:

5) Are the AASL/AECT "Information Literacy Standards" addressed within
your state's Standards?
        ___yes   ___no
If yes, please explain briefly how they are included.

6) Are the ISTE standards for student technology use addressed within
your state's Standards?
        ___yes   ___no
If yes, please explain briefly how they are included.

7)  Would you describe the overall impact of your state's Standards on
your Library Media Program as:

        ___positive   ___negative   ___no impact

Thank you!
Pat Gualtieri
LMS candidate, U. of MD