At 10:29 AM 10/2/00 -0400, you wrote:
 >Help!  We currently hosting a group of students and teachers from Lucca,
 >Italy.  The teacher from Italy teaches English literature and is looking to
 >buy some of these titles on videotape.  I was told that their video system
 >plays PAL tapes.  If they but videotapes here--does anyone know if they will
 >be able to play them in Italy?
NTSC (US FORMAT) videos won't play on PAL (EUROPE/ASIA) video players.

 From <www.palvideo.com>, a German video store:

===QUOTE===
Two incompatible video standards are used around the world, NTSC and PAL.
PAL is the television standard in the Pacific Rim and Europe (except
France). NTSC is the standard for the rest of the world, including the USA.

VHS is a standard for physical video cassettes - all the offered videos are
in the format of VHS, however NTSC and PAL videos are incompatible
electronically. PAL video sends more lines per minute than NTSC. These
formats are incompatible - PAL videos will not play in NTSC players, and
vice versa.

Most of the videos and laserdiscs we offer are in the PAL format. Only VCRs
that are PAL compatible can play them.

Our Japanese videos and laserdiscs are the NTSC format, which can be played
on any US VCR.

European customers should be aware our Japanese videos play only on NTSC
compatible players.
===END===

...brig

--
Brig C. McCoy           | IT Section Manager
Wichita Public Library  | 316 261-8500