To amplify on Brig's message.

#1 is easy and most onlive DB vendors can handle it.

#2 is also done by many univiersity and consortia libraries by using
a proxy server. The external patrons are directed to the proxy
address and proved that they are valid users. The service then sees
a request coming from a valid IP number or gets a valid
id/password passed to it.

#3... Even having the patron put in an id/password is not a problem
in some systems. Generally, what is input is a library barcode. The
idenitifcation of the barcode is done in a similar manner to the IP
range. The library supplies the DB vendor with a vaild barcode
range and the software treats it as an IP range.

You can get more information on #2 from the WEB4LIB archives
and Reference Center. You can find them at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/web4lib/ .

Dan Robinson
HW Wilson Company
Bronx, NY