Oh, NO!  I somehow sent a partially written hit.  So sorry to clutter your
mailbox.

Wow!  Lots of ideas, sources and titles.

1.  Elements that may be taught beyond character, setting, plot and change:
         metaphor, simile, point of view, personification, theme, tone,
alliteration, and
            onomatopoeia, foreshadowing

2.  Professional sources
        Using Picture Books To Teach Literary Devices (Hall) (Oryx Press)
        Teaching Story Elements With Favorite Books (Scholastic)
        Worth a Thousand Words: an Annotated Guide to Picture Books for Older
            Readers by Bette D. Ammon and Gale Sherman. ISBN 1-56308-390-6.
        Picture Books by Ruth Calhum
        Creating Writers by Vickie Spandel

3.  Titles:
       Aunt Isabel Tells a Good One (Duke) (suggested by many for all
elements)
       Aunt Isabel Makes Trouble (Duke) (conflict)
       Two Is a Team (Beim) (beginning, middle, climax, end)
       Thy Friend, Obadiah (Turkle)
       Make Mulligan and His Steam Shovel (Burton)
       The Gang and Mrs. Higgins (Shannon) (setting)
       Where the Wild Things Are (Sendak) (foreshadowing)

Character:
Alice in April - Phyllis Reynold Naylor
Annabel - Janice Boland
Grandma -  Alison Dexter
I Want to Be - Thylias Moss
Julius - Angela Johnston
Miss Tizzy - Libba Moore Gray
Monster Mama - Liz Rosenberg
Nana's Birthday Party - Amy Hest
Owen - Kevin Henkes
Scooter - Vera B. Williams
Tom - Tomie dePaola
William's Ninth Life - Minna Jung
Lydia, Queen of Palestine - Uri Orlev (Gr. 4-6)  Great character development
Agnes the Sheep - William TAylor
Annabelle Swift, Kindergartener - Amy Schwartz
Henry and Mudge books - Cynthia Rylant

Plot:
Doctor De Soto - William Steig
Three Billy Goats Gruff - Janet Stevens
Little Tricker the Squirrel Meets Big Double the Bear - Barry Moser
Cow That Wouldn't Come Down - Paul Brett Johnson
Stellaluna - Janell Cannon
The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig - Eugene Trivas

Setting:
Dreamplace - George Ella Lyon
The Goodbye Walk - Joanne Ryder
Grab Hands and Run - Frances Temple
The Picnic - Ruth Brown
Lost+ACE- - David McPhail
Staying at Sam's - Jenny Hessell
When I was Young in the Mountains - Cynthia Rylant

Tone (feeling, emotion) - Cheyenne Again by Eve Bunting

Flashback/time-shift - In my own backyard by Judi Kurjian

Irony- The frog prince continued by Jon Scieszka

Personification - The Barn by Debbie Atwell
                         The tree that would not die by Ellen Levine

Point of View - Barefoot by Pamela Duncan Edwards
                      The true story of the three little pigs by Jon Scieszka

Plot - Old Jake's skirts by David Slonim
         Lost Lake by Allen Say (use to show the development of parallel
                 stories -- the bakcpacking trip and the relationship between
 father &b son)

Setting - The potato man by Megan McDonald
              When I was young in the mountains by Cynthia Rylant

Conflict - Two islands by Ivan Gantschev
Conflict Resolution - The story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf

Ellen Heath, Librarian, Orchard School, Ridgewood, NJ
ellheath@aol.com