You elementary guys have to help me.  Please --

I have fixed 50-minute periods at the elementary.  My classes
are about 18 students each.  No aide with me.  I'm the Lone
Librarian.  I am not yet automated at the elementary, so manually
check books in and out, but must use Student Numbers instead of
names -- so have to stop and look up each student before checking books
out.  The check-in/check-out part of the period I have been trying
to leave until after my lesson, but I'm running out of time.  I
am having trouble controlling the students while I'm checking
the books in and out.  I have had the students, 5 at a time, rotate
centers (listening center, reference books, magazines, check-in/
choose books to check out).  The only 5 on the floor should be
the 5 choosing books, but it is so NOISY -- and I can't monitor
the students at the centers while I'm chained to the circulation
desk.  They don't rotate stations well without direct instructions, and the
listening center stories are never finished before it's time to rotate,
or, inevitably some student will LOUDLY say (while having the
headphones on) that this story is boring -- and ask to switch centers.
I don't have discipline problems during the lesson, but
when it comes time to start checking in and out -- it's a zoo.
I also am trying to run a bit of a flex-schedule by allowing
students to come to the LMC during recess, etc.  Some students
always come in during my regular classes.  I have been trying
to tell myself this is the way a USED library sounds and looks,
but I'm afraid it's out of control.  How do I handle book check-in
and out in an orderly fashion without boring the students who
aren't on the floor to death?

Carrie Wilson, K-12 SLMS
North Pemiscot R-1
Wardell, MO 63879