Today Mr Mandela was at Government House with Sir William Deane, the
Governor General, when it was time to farewell the torch from Canberra.

Sir William , a man whom I admire greatly for his work with the real people
of this world, handed the torch to Mr Mandela who handed it to an Aborigine
who then passed it to the first runner for the day, an Olympic softballer.
And when she was interviewed, I got a strong impression that meeting Mr
Mandela was a bigger thrill than running the torch relay leg!

The man just commands so much respect!  And I have been told by our South
African members  that he makes a point of visiting away-from-home teams
whenever he can.

There was also a report on a current affairs show about the Sierra Leone
relay team being stranded with no money or support in Brisbane, and the
locals not only pitched in with cash and accommodation but they have given
them access to training tracks and all sorts of things.

THOSE are the stories of the REAL Olympics, nit the drugs and the traffic
and all the negative stuff.

Cheers
Barbara

Barbara Braxton