In our Middle School Library display this month our Veteran's Day focus is
on World War I, and connecting that to the original Armistice Day and the
poem In Flanders Field by John McCrae, 1915.  We had decided to do this on
September 12.  We are also explaining the shift between Armistice Day to
Veterans Day, and how this is different than Memorial Day.

I have brought in a framed sepia photo of my grandfather in his WWI uniform,
framed with his discharge papers from WWI.  I also have two photos of my
grandmother and the WWI soldiers she dated, (not my grandfather!!).  In
addition when I lived in England years ago I bought at an antique dealer two
Princess Mary Gift tins, given to British service people for Christmas 1914.
I had never done the research on them until I planned this display.  If you
go to google and type in World War I and Princess Mary gift tins you will
find some great sights.  In addition I had bought a bronze plaque that I had
been told was WWI, but again had not done the research until now.  It was
what N.Z. gave the next of kin to their WWI war dead.

But my favorite is the framed painted and embroidered picture done by
Belgian women and girls on flour sacks they returned to the US with thanks
for the flour the US sent when they were starving.  The framer of this had
left the back clear so the huge USA on the sack could also be seen.  This
has always hung in my Library Assistant's home as a child and as an adult.
On another wall we have the poem, In Flanders Fields and a connection to why
we have red poppies at Veterans Day time.  There is a wonderful book by
Linda Granfield called IN FLANDERS FIELDS; the story of the poem which is
perfect to use.  She has also done one on HIGH fLIGHT, the WWII poem Pres.
Regan read part of on the day of the Challenger disaster.  Our Art teacher
is coming Friday for me to give an explanation of all this and the students
will make poppies and then study poppy pictures created by other artists.

Our local VFW is also going to loan us the Poppy Poster display entered by
their womens' group which one first or second place in a district contest,
and they will give us some poppies as well.

We have just started to put up the display outside and inside the library
and it already is gathering positive comments.  The behind the scenes work
took a bit of time in and around classes, but we are pleased with the
results.

Sorry this is so long.

Kathleen H. Fencil
Kathleen H. Fencil