I just wanted to give a quick report from downtown DC. Most of us at the
  Benton Foundation  evacuated our building, which is at 18th and K street,
  three or four blocks from the white house. We received word of the attacks

  on the World Trade center building around 9am, having to rely on portable
  radios since our Internet connection froze as people tried to find more
  information. The majority of Benton staff were out of the building by
10am.

  The streets are filled with people briskly walking away from downtown,
  trying to get their cell phones to work. It's not a panic situation by any

  means - just lots of people determined to get the hell out of there. Some
  people are clearly shaken, and are being comforted by friends and
strangers
  alike. The streets are completely jammed with cars as people try to get
out
  of the city. Since lots of us at our office usually take the metro to work

  (which has been shut down, along with all other commuter trains), those of

  us who lived within walking distance offered to bring home other people
who
  would be stranded downtown.

  We're now back at my Dupont Circle apartment, two miles due north of the
  Pentagon. We can't see smoke from our balcony, which is surprising
  considering the extent of the damage we've seen on TV so far.

  I've set up a listserv, sept11info, for people wanting to talk about
today's
  attack. You can join the list by going to this address:

  or by sending an email to sept11info-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

  Please feel free to pass on this information.

  I will do my best to report on any news here in DC, but let us all hope
and
  pray that the worst is over now. Our thoughts and prayers are with
everyone
  who's being affected by this insanity....

  Andy Carvin
  Benton Foundation
  acarvin@benton.org