Yeah!  Here is the poem about the librarian at the cocktail party I was
seeking.  It is from the book:  Split Image by Mel Glenn.  It is a fabulous
book about perceptions others have of a teenage girl.  A definate must read.
The full-text of the poem is below.  It is located on page 20 of my copy of
the book.

Linda

Sarah Binder,
   Librarian

Just tell people at a cocktail party you're a librarian
and watch how conversation ceases.
"read any good books lately?" they ask politely,
And then got o find someone presumedly more
         interesting.
They dismiss me as quickly as they would turn a
         page.
Let them go; they don't know what they're missing.
I can discuss the arts of countries around the
        world
I can argue about the politics of those countries,
        too.
I can swap risqué stories in three languages.
I'm so well-rounded I roll - I rock and roll.
But if those cocktail party people don't want to
       listen to me,
I always have my steadfast friends,
Like Huck and Jim, Romeo and Juliet, Heathcliff
       and Catherine.
So in the morning when I turn on the lights,
Put up the coffee, witch on the AC and the
      computers,
I say hello to those friends who have a long shelf
      life.
Now I am teaching Laura Li how to open up in the
      morning,
I have given her a spare key and a locker of her
      own.
She won't have long to wait
Before she hears my friends
Speaking to her across the centuries.