Good Afternoon,

I am trying to understand the difference between being reactive and
proactive in providing service to teachers. Currently I am a reactive person
in responding to faculty requests. When, while talking to teachers and hear
what they are going to be doing in class I will assemble a collection of
resources for them, or if they request information on a particular topic
they will have it within a couple of hours, or if they are assigning a
project that involves research I will invite/encourage them to bring their
class to the library for extra research time (in addition to their normal
fixed library time.) This I consider being reactive to their request.

My administration is encouraging me to become more proactive. Now I
understand that the current literature is pushing collaberation with
teachers and I agree with that. But am I not providing good service by being
reactive. It seems that being proactive is working to get to the next level.

Any feedback - currently I am being made to feel like I am not providing
quality library service.

Thanks for all your comments and help in the past. It is much appreciated!

Randall Dick
Librarian
Locust Grove Mennonite School
2257 Old Philadelphia Pike