Hello,

I searched the archives for answers to my question and came up with zilch, so I am
coming to the collective brain for advice or suggestions :)

Quandry #1:
I am (still) cataloging/automating the books in this library, and am unsure as to
what to do with the Reader's Digest Condensed Books (we have 160+).  I just keep
moving them out of the way as I catalog my way around the library.

Do you have condensed books in your library?  Do people check them out?  I can
maybe see benefits from having a few condensed books, but 160 is maybe a few too
many... what do you think? (I have estimated the library's total collection size to
be 8-10,000 books)

This is tough for me because I don't like the idea of condensed books; even as a
little kid I wanted to read the real thing or nothing at all (stubborn and picky,
that's me!)... So my initial thoughts were to pitch the lot of them, but perhaps
that is not in the best interest of my patrons.  FYI: the library is located in the
high school, but is intended for the whole community.

Quandry #2:
If I keep these books, how do I catalog them?  They all seem to have the same LCCN
(why??), and I'm not sure what this means as far as cataloging them.  Also, if I
keep very many of them, what sort of call #s would you suggest?  It seems to me
that it might be a little awkward to have so many books with identical call #s...
but maybe this is not a problem (?)

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Karisa

Karisa Hayward, Librarian
EskDale High School
EskDale, Utah
Daisy@goducks.com

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?