I just finished reading the March 2002 School Library Media Activities
Monthly.  There was a scope and sequence for k-12 information science
article in that issue.'
Hi,
After several yrs. of committes trying to update our scope and sequence
we
took a totally different approach to,our new curriculum document.  It
reflects teh search process and overall information literacy skills.  We
identified two Enduring Understandings we work toward:
1.  The efficient and effective use of information is essential for
understanding and communicating ideas.  2.  Lifelong learning is built
on
a foundation of information literacy.  We then developed 7 learner
outcomes:  1) Students will be able to demonstrate an appreciation of
literature and reading.  2.  Students will be able to locate information
to meet an identified need.  3. Students will be able to collect
information relevant to identified need.  4. Students will be able to
organize and manage information found in print, non-print and
computer/online formats.  5. Students will be able to interpret
information to generate new understandings and knowledge.  6. Students
will be able to communicate findings by producing materials inas
appropriate format.  and 7. Students will be able to demonstrate
responsible attitudes toward the use of information.  Each of these have
specific indicators but not a list of isolated skills to be mastered.
For
ex. indicators for 1 appreciation of lit include recognition of how
lit. reflects, examines and influences the human experience, recognize
reading as pleasurable and recognize importance of being a lifelong
learner. Under 2 locate info. the indicators include recognize arangment
and content of fiction, non-fiction, non-print and computer/online (each
separate indicator) and define/refine info. need including
formulation of compelling questions.  Under 3 collect info the
indicators
include reference to generating appropriate search terminology,
evaluating
advantages/disadvantages of formats (print, computer etc.) distinguish
between relevant and extraneous info, and note taking processes. Under 4
organize and manage we focus on generating and interpreting info. in
different display formats (graph, database, spreadsheet, text and
graphical) and use of specific strategies for organizing data/info
(a,b,c
order, chronological, compare/contrast, cause and effect etc.)  Under 5
interpreting we focus on analyzing quality of data, information and
sources and applying specific critical thinking and problem solving
strategies (recognizing patterns, drawing conclusions, making inferences
and constructing personal connections) Under 6 communicating the
indicaztors are create materials in various formats to support written,
oral and multimedia presentations and apply best practices related to
content and layout of presentations.  Indicators for 7 responsible
attitudes we focus on ethical issues of citing sources and copyright and
also identify promotion of intellectual freedom.
The same basic processes need to be followed by primary students as well
as upper grade and secondary students.  The sophistication of resources
used and responses accepted will vary greatly, but the process does not.
We are in teh process of adopting this as a K-12 curriculum for library
media programs.  The title is Information Literacy: A shared
responsibility.  Another reason for going this route rather than a scope
and sequence of specific isolated skills is that it communicates to
classroom teachers and facilitates collaboration.  When ever we tried to
identify a specific grade level for a specific skill we ran in to
difficulty because there is such a wide variation in student background
and ability.  Some felt strongly it should be later or earlier.  This
approach provides flexibility for moving students from where they are to
the next step ahead in terms of mastering the process and becoming
information literate.  Just sharing a different way of looking at the
problem.