A note of appreciation to everyone who sent ideas for Back-to-School Night.
I had as many, if not more, requests to post a hit as I had idea responses so
there is certainly an audience for more suggestions.  Thanks again.

Denise Ross

-------------------------------
My parents have always liked reminiscing about their
favorites.  You might do some sort of presentation on
oldies but goodies or then and now.

Couple of things that have been done in my district on
Open House nights.  (Our back to school night is only
for classroom teachers to meet their students/parents,
and for students to drop off their supplies and find
where there class is located.  It is usually the Tuesday
or Wednesday evening before school begins on Monday.)

PowerPoint presentation with photos of all the wonderful
activities that took place in the library the previous
year:  Battle of the Books team practices/competitions,
storytime, author visits, state award nominated books,
etc.

Turn on several - or all - of the computers.  Have a
couple set up as library catalogs, but log the others on
to really NEAT websites, i.e. online encyclopedias,
authors' websites, live cam sites, etc. and let the
parents explore.

What about having them find a book they read as a kid or one that looks good
and leaving their child a note, clue, something to direct child to finding
book and possibly checking out?

Make a Power Point show describing your program and use photos of the kids.
You could even set it to run automatically so you don't have to "present"
it.

Try workshops on Internet Safety, online databases (if you have any), a tour
of your favorite homework sites, an Internet scavenger hunt for parent

My first book fair of the year is on that night

How about a little or small scavenger hunt to find a
few posters that you have up or a specific section on
dry/erase boards or typed up papers...when they are
done...they get a free bookmark..
Hope you find something quick and fun...
Or have one prize and have them write their teachers'
grade, name and see who wins.....?
Hope this helps,
Kathie

I hold a book fair that night - then continue it for the following 6 days
for students.  It's very popular, some parents buy and some just check out
the books before their children buy.

I had all my new books out that arrived during the summer.  I took all the
students pictures who came into see me.  I used the Digital camera and I am
now importing their pics into my automation system.  It was wonderful! I had
a ton of people.  If you can't use the pictures in your automation system,
maybe you could use them to make a bulletin board of "get caught reading."
Do adults as well as students.  Have fun!  Ruie

Good idea.  My first year, last year, I have a drawing
so parents came in with the kids and signed up for a
goodie bag and then next morning I have a drawing for
a winner at each grade level.  I at least got a chance
to speak to some parents that way. This year i think
the prize will just be a book as I have no money to
put together a good bag for four grade levels.  But a
short activity for the parents would be great.  I have
12 computers so it could involve computers.  Post what
you find as ideas.