We print out a copy of the AR title lists in our library by title (ABC =
order), Author (ABC order) and reading level. It helps us in working =
with the collection, as well as gives the kids an easy way to check =
whether a book is AR if the computers are all in use. In another =
library, we also printed out the point level, as some classes were =
required to read a certain number of points per quarter.=20
Working extensively with AR title lists, I've come across what seems to =
be some discrepancies in the title list. I'm wondering if it's lack of =
knowledge on my part, or AR inconsistencies.
We have both Spanish and English titles. Sometimes "the" in Spanish is =
ignored, other times it isn't. I'm trying to decide if there's any =
pattern (la or el, ignored, las or los not?)
Also, any ideas why Berenstein Bears is both B. Bears, and Berenstein =
Bears?=20
That means there are TWO areas to teach children to look for the test, =
not one.=20

Another question is regarding separate words. For example: My Toy  =
before Mysterious, and I Play before Icarus
Are there some unique librarian alphabetizing rules I'm not aware of?=20
Do you ignore all the rest of the letters if a word is abbreviated (like =
St., MT., B., etc?)
 I was told that McD in the past would have been placed in the MacD =
also, that you didn't ignore the letters, but that now it was placed in =
the Mcd spot. True?
Do any of you know of a website that lists alphabetizing rules for =
librarians, or a wonderful source book for it?=20

 Also, my copy of the Dewey Decimal System is woefully out of date. =
Recommended books to replace it (with source, if possible), or websites =
that could give me some of the updated changes would be wonderful.=20

Thanks for your help. It's wonderful to have such an awesome collection =
of library information available through you all.

Sue Adams
Library Aide
Saddle Mountain Intermediate
Mattawa, WA 99349