As a former Barnes and Noble employee during one summer of my college
years, I can speak with a little authority on the subject of arranging
libraries according to the bookstore organizational format. Frankly, the
idea really sucks.  Even if I hadn't worked in one of these bookstores,
as a patron of Borders and Barnes and Noble, I know how difficult it can
be to find a specific title on the shelf.  As an employee there, I
remember the frustration I felt not only trying to keep the shelves
organized, but trying to find a specific title for a customer.  I would
look up a book in the computer, find that yes, indeed, it was supposed
to be on the shelf, but then when the customer and I went to search the
shelf for the book we often had difficulty finding it.  Even though
sections were supposed to be arranged alphabetically by author, most of
the time the shelves were in disorder.  It is so much harder to have to
eyeball titles than to eyeball numbers on spines neatly arranged.  In
conclusion, bookstores are arranged for browsers only; libraries are
(and should be) arranged for people looking for specific information as
well as browsers. The Dewey and LC systems perfectly meet the needs of
both types of patrons.

Matt McCrady