Hello,
    I received more requests for a hit than I did info!!  Seems like
this is a topic that many of us are grappling with, but don't have
answers.  I appreciate the few responses I did receive.  They were very
helpful!!  :o)
Hi... hope this helps...
-which students have accounts (ie. seniors, all, etc)? ALL of our
students have a GroupWise accounts with remote access from home
(Grades
9-12 approx. 2000 students)
- what instructional need(s) or activities are being supported by the
accounts?
E-mailing assignments back and forth from school to home. Also sharing
with classmates in group presentations such as PowerPoint. We
discourage
the use of floppy disks, so e-mailing assignments and papers is ideal.
*Must make sure home software is compatible with school!
- what expectations and information regarding the accounts is being
communicated to the students and their parents and how is this being
done?
Instruction of e-mail accounts and use is given when students come
into
the media center for research. Research is mandated each year in
English
& Social Studies and the objective is a written paper.
- who administers the accounts (sets up and maintains)?  Our
Technology
Dept. sets up the accounts.
Only students in some of the computer classes have email accounts.
We're a boarding school, so we make sure all our boys have
email accounts.  Our needs are somewhat different from yours, but I'll
answer your questions below.

           -which students have accounts (ie. seniors, all, etc)?
        All, as we are a boarding school.  We have our own email server
and request that the boys use it.  They can access it from home or
anywhere
else with internet access, as it's web-based.  (We have tried to keep
them from using outside email, but it's too hard to enforce.)

 - what instructional need(s) or activities are being supported by the
accounts?
        Well, of course we feel it's important for communication with
friends and family, but we use email daily as a way of communicating
within the school -- announcements, meetings, disciplinary messages,
etc.  Some
teachers use it to let their classes know of assignments.  I'm not
sure
that I can think of direct instructional uses other than that, but we
don't separate the uses out.

 - what expectations and information regarding the accounts is being
 communicated to the students and their parents and how is this being
 done?
        We have everyone sign an acceptable use policy.  Parents are
told everything they need to know about both email and internet use (we
do
have a filter).  Our network administrator of course has access to
everything, and while of course he doesn't sit around monitoring email
messages, he lets the students know that he can do that, so that they
know it's not totally private.  We've had occasional abuses of the
system, and he has taken action based on what he is able to oversee.
 I have used an online program called Gaggle.Net for high school,
middle
school,
 and now for elementary students.  It is a monitored e-mail program
that
has proven to be very valuable for us.  Yes, all students have
accounts,
even Sure Start students.  Their moms and dads send messages for them
and with them.  We have even used it for students who have gone on
emergency leave or some travel situation.  With Gaggle.Net, there is
one
school administrator who maintains the overall school account.
However,
each classroom teacher can, if they so desire and the school chooses
do so, manage their classroom accounts.  All of the directions are
available at their website, to include information to be disseminated
parents and students.  I high recommend it!

Thanks again!
Angie Wieneke

Angie Wieneke
Librarian