Here is the hit regarding copy machines in the library.  My original =
request was:
<<I was wondering how many of you have a copy machine in the library for =
student use.  If so, did the school/library buy it outright or do you =
contract it?  Do you charge students to make copies? Do you have a coin =
machine?  If you bought your machine , I would be interested to know a =
little about the machine.  If you've contracted it, I would be =
interested in knowing a little about your contract and service.  Thank =
you.>>
Thank you for all your input.  Cutting and pasting was the best options, =
because the answers were so varied. =20
Esther

-------

We (library technology budget) bought a reconditioned Ricoh and a coin
box.  It works fine for limited usage.  The kids/staff have to pay 10
cents per page.  I have an override key for library needs.  I have a
service contract on it. Hope this helps.

-------

I work in a K-8 school and was unlucky enough to have the copy machine =
in the library. It was not for student use unless a teacher  was with =
him or her. The noise of people coming and going and chatting as well as =
the noise of the copier was horrendous. Luckily, this year, renovations =
are done and the machine has been moved into the library storeroom. I =
still have the traffic but the noise of the copier is no longer =
competing with me.=20

Our school leases their copiers from Lanier. We just got a new one. Both =
have been fairly servicable. I have become the copy machine queen as a =
result of it being in the library. So prepare yourself for constantly =
filling it up with paper, unjamming paper and reloading staple =
cartridges.

If your school does high volume printing, it doesn't seem to pay to buy. =
Most schools lease them. The service contract is pretty good.

Our high school charges students per page printed on the network =
computers, but does not have a copy machine. We don't charge our =
students for printing on our network computers and they have to have =
teacher permission to do any copying.

Good luck

-------

Yes, I have a copy machine in the library and could
use another one.  I do not handle the arrangements,
but I know the copier is leased.  I charge .15 per
sheet for personal copies - including replacing lost
handouts and workbook pages.  Students pay me and I
get to use the money for the library. I do not charge
for school copies.  Teachers here often ask students
to bring the info back to the classroom where they
supervise the note taking.=20
-------

I have a small Canon NP___ (don't know exact model) desktop copier that =
students and teachers both use for single copies, or up to 10 copies.  =
No classroom sets...we have a heavy duty copier in the teacher workroom =
for that.=20

I charge the students 10 cents per page for personal use and nothing if =
it is related to an assignment made by a teacher.  It is not coin =
operated.  The machine was purchased outright for about $800.  I've had =
it in use for a little less than 2 years and so far have only had to =
replace toner cartridge.  I know that probably before too much longer I =
will have to replace the drum since it's already past the "mileage" =
where that should occur.  We have no service contract on the machine, =
but we bought it locally and service is available if we should need it.=20

-------

 I was wondering how many of you have a copy machine in the library for =
=3D
> student use.  If so, did the school/library buy it outright or do you
> =3Dcontract it?

Consignment he collects the $

> Do you charge students to make copies?    Yes

> Do you have a coin machine?    Yes

-------

The school bought a coin operated copy machine for the library for =
student
use. My school is an elementary school (Pres to 8) and it used mostly by
students in grades 6 through 8. Copies are .10.  We also purchased the
service contract, which has been worth the cost. The company does a =
yearly
maintenance on the copier and also comes out whenever there is a =
problem. I
don't usually have problems, but occasionally there is a problem with =
coins
getting stuck in the chute or some other minor problem. I don't remember =
the
model or the make of the machine (I am at home now) but it has been a
godsend for me.

-------

I have an ancient copy machine for student use.  I do not have a coin op =
on
it, but I do charge $0.10 per copy.  I tried for a new one with a =
contract,
but that $1300.00 per year was cut from my budget for next year.  I just
keep hoping the old one holds together.
Hope this helps.

-------

We just recently purchased a combo printer/copier that is attached to my =

Circulation Desk computer.  We purchased it outright and it is totally=20
monitored by me.  It is intended to save wear and tear on our school =
secretary=20
who has to deal with students wanting to copy pages from reference =
books. =20
Basically it is just used by our 6-8th graders which includes about 95=20
students.  I only let them use it when they cannot take notes or I do =
not want=20
the book gone overnight.  I do not charge them and so far it hasn't =
amounted=20
to a large number of copies. =20

-------

We do  have a copy machine in our middle school media center. It is paid =
for as one of the many copy machines the administration leases =
throughout the district. Students are charged 10 cents per copy and =
there is a coin box which only takes dimes. (There is also an override =
key which we use when we want to make copies)It will do reductions and =
copy onto letter and legal size paper. It also collates and will print =
two sided copies.

Sometimes teachers want to use this machine (for free and they want the =
media center staff to do it for them!) but we discourage it. There are =
two large copy machines in our building designed for larger quantity =
copying which are available for staff use. And we don't make copies =
routinely for staff as this would be our only function if we allowed it. =

Students are sometimes confused by having to pay for copies on a copy =
machine probably because we do not charge for printing sent to printers =
from computers on the network. However, I see this nominal fee as a good =
- if minor - "life experience" for students. In middle school it is not =
unreasonable to expect students to plan and anticipate their study needs =
and have a little bit of money to make sure they have supplies and =
materials. (Our school serves a middle class community and these minor =
expenses are not a burden for families) Students like having this =
service and make use of it.

-------

I have a copy machine in the library for student use at a charge of 5 =
cents
a page.  it is a low-end machine, does not copy double-sided unless you
physically put the paper back into the tray.

There is a separate coin-accepting machine hooked up to the copier.  It =
will
take coins (not pennies), $1 and $5.  I empty it at the end of the week =
so
there is relatively little money in it for theft.

The machine is "rented" at a cost of $300 a month, even the summer =
months as
the company will not do a 9 month contract.  It comes out of my budget.
Sometimes I wish I had that money to buy books and technology!  This fee
includes service, toner, and the scanning light when it needs =
replacement.
I receive a monthly return postcard on which I must record the "counter"
number.  This way usage can be tracked and their furnishing the tone
cartridges is based on usage.

The money I receive for the students' copying goes into the fine fund =
which
is used to replace lost books and to buy paperback books without going
through the school purchase order process.

-------

We were given our copy machine by a local industry when they bought=20
new ones. Our students are allowed to use it but only to make copies for =

school related projects - science projects, etc. My biggest problem is=20
explaining that it is illegal to copy from encyclopedias, books, etc.=20
Teachers are often times more trouble than the students. I have copies=20
of copyright explanations taped on the machine & on the wall above it,=20
but I'm not going to fight with another professional over whether or not =

they're breaking the law. :-( I do, however, refuse to make illegal=20
copies for them. <sigh> This probably has nothing to do with what you=20
were asking, but it's probably something you should think about.

-------

I have one copier in the library for student use (635 students).  Up to =
two
years ago, we rented one and had the  service agreement tied into that
rental as did the school office - it was all one rental agreement but I =
paid
for part of the rental and service  costs from my budget. Then, last =
year
when the library copier finally quite on us for the third time in a six =
week
period, I was told to research purchasing a new one.  I also wanted a =
coin
machine attached to it.  The school bought the copier and I bought the =
coin
machine. The cost of the service agreement on my copier is taken from my
budget but is partially offset by the amount we collect for copies. I =
charge
10 cents per copy but may consider increasing that.

-------

Hi, I have a copy machine in the library which was purchased by the =
school.  It actually is one that was used in the main office and was =
given to the library when they got a new one.  I don't charge for =
student use, however, I do supervise what the students copy, and I limit =
them to one copy only.  Usually they copy info from a reference book =
which can't be checked out of the library.=20

-------

We have a student use copy machine that was purchased with capital =
projects
money.  We pay a very steep yearly service contract, $472.00, twice a =
year.
Everytime the machine breaks someone is here within a day to fix it.  =
The
contract covers everything!  We do charge the students 10 cents a copy.  =
The
copy machine is a Savin 9013Z.  It enlarges and reduces and there is a =
coin
op on it.  It does not make change!  You might want one that does.  =
Also,
how do I pay for that service contract?  I sell candy in the media =
center!
When the federal gov't outlaws junk food sales in schools I am going to =
be
up a creek!  Don't know how I will pay for the service contract.

-------

I have a copy machine in the LMC.  I believe it is
contracted.  Provision of the machine is provided by
the central office.  I charge $.10 per page to copy.=20
Students must request that copies be made at the
circulation desk.  The machine is not coin operated.

-------

High School of 1800
Previous a local company provided copy machines as a service.
They changed ownership to being part of a national company so dropped =
the
service.
After much negotiation etc. the district brought a copier for each =
library.
At each school we had to buy a coin operation if we wanted one and a =
service
agreement.
Our student council came through on these items.  The copy machine is a
student convenience definitely.
We charge 10c a copy.   Not sure if the collection totally covers the
service agreement but that was our hope.

-------

We have a machine that is contracted, They supply everything and get all =
the
profits and I receive 300 free copies per month via a "key". The cost to
students is .10/ copy. It has worked out quite well but the machine is
getting "old" hence service is more often, their cost. I have asked for =
newer machine=20

-------

I have a small copier in the library.
We have 400 students and so far this school year we have made 4400 =
copies.
That includes of course, copies made by teachers when the big copier is =
down
 and by me.
We purchased it outright and have a service contract on it.=20

-------

When our old one died (free copying) the business manager bought a new
one from Ikon Office Solutions (or the like).  There is a contract, but
I'm not in charge of it so don't know much.  He also bought a separate
product that would take prepaid copy cards which the students now have
to buy in the bookstore.  There's a lot less copying now....  and I
don't have to think about it much.  Let me know if you want any more
info=20

-------

We have a Minolta Dialta 250 which sorts, does back-to-back, zooms.  =
Students have free copying privileges, I presume as part of their =
tuition benefit.  We contract, and our provider is excellent about =
prompt service.  I don't know the terms of the contract, but they have =
the entire campus (Jk - 12).=20

-------

We have a copy machine that the school pays for.  I charge students 10 =
cents a=20
copy=20
unless it is from a book or a magazine.  This is my fourth year and the=20
whining about=20
paying is finally letting up.  I sometimes think that charging is not =
worth=20
the hassle of=20
debating but when I reflect on the socioeconomic class of this school =
(high),=20
I harden my=20
heart! I do let them run IOU's, they can't receive their grade card =
unless=20
they are paid up.=20

-------

We do have a copy machine for student use.  We do own it.  It was =
purchased I think on a 3 year plan, but it was done before I got here.   =
We keep a maintenance contact on the machine which runs about $550 every =
3 yrs or 25,000 copies.  Any problems I have with it - all labor, parts, =
& travel are covered.  I also get 4 toners with each contact.  Now it is =
an older copier - no dulexer or anything, but is the most dependable =
machine in the building!  In fact I have never gone 3 years to renew the =
contract because we have had several times where the 4 other =
copier/printers have been down and they've had to use mine for all =
copying in the building.

It has a coin machine ($.10/copy).  I do let students write IOUs.  I =
have a "Copier expense" material and then can add an IOU to the students =
fine screen.=20

-------

When I came here 4 years ago we had a coin machine on a contract. It was
broken down more than it was working,and it took 2-3 weeks to get a =
service
person to come, so I told them to take it back. I phoned all over and
finally found one business machine place that placed a brand new machine =
in
here. This is not coin op... We have to collect the money. Once a month =
the
owner calls and gets the counter number from us and they send us a bill. =
We
don't make anything on but we don't spend anything except paper, which =
our
principal doesn't mind supplying. It works well and we think it's an
important resource to have for kids. $.10/copy.  Usage is about 350 =
copies a
month.  We have a student body of 2500.

-------

Yes, we do.  I consider it necessary to avoid the cutting of pictures =
from encyclopedias and other reference materials.  We contract for the =
machine from a local company for about $500.00 per year, which includes =
service and toner. Since, from their perspective, we are a low user, we =
were able to rent one of their reconditionned machines. I used to pay =
for it with various book fees, but lately my district is asking to =
receive these funds.  My colleagues and I negotiated permission to keep =
our own library overdue fine money, and I use that fund to pay for the =
machine. It is coin activated with key override. I raised the price per =
copy to ten cents from a nickel to help close the gap between cost and =
income.  We keep a supply of dimes on hand to make change for kids, and =
we keep strict accounting of the funds.  It works out very well, but you =
would need local sevice support

-------

We have a copy machine purchased by the administration.  The machine =
also
has a coin op (which costs as much as the copy machine).  Because it has =
coin op we aren't concerned with speed of the machine.  We make copies =
for
the teachers, overheads, and also for students.  We charge ten cents a =
copy.
In the past we have generated enough money to pay for support costs of =
the
copy machine and Follett software.  Previously we contracted, but =
because we
don't generate enough money to pay the bill during the summer, we were
always behind in our payments--not good.  Also, we bill the teacher's
department rather then expecting them to have cash.  I can't imagine =
having
a high school library without a copy machine=20

-------

We do have a copy machine. I can't give you any information about its
purchase or contract, but I can tell you that we used to charge 10=A2 a
copy, but we no longer charge. It was a huge hassle, and since we don't
charge for computer printing, it didn't make sense to me to charge for
photocopies.

-------

We have two photocopiers. We contract for it.  THe money is in the =
library budget for this machine. Students pay for copies they make.  If =
a class is on the library doing reserach, we will turn the machine on =
for free during that class period.  THey have to pay at all other times. =

-------

We have two photocopiers. We contract for it.  THe money is in the =
library budget for this machine. Students pay for copies they make.  If =
a class is on the library doing reserach, we will turn the machine on =
for free during that class period.  THey have to pay at all other times. =

-------

We have a leased copier (Savin) that our district provides, so I don't =
know what sort of "deal" they got except they beat Xerox. We don't =
charge and there's no "coin-op" or card-system attachment - just push =
the green button. We do charge for personal copies - 5 cents/copy. =
Before the had the copier, we had problems with pages torn from $175 =
reference books, magazines, yearbooks (which are irreplaceable, as you =
know), etc. Since then - only the occasional pictures from the off-road =
and hot-rod magazines (and the magazines themselves, but that's another =
issue - no pun intended.). So, in that respect, the copier does pay for =
itself. Plus it gets heavy use from teachers when the office copier =
breaks down (which doesn't happen very often - NOT!)=20

-------

We do have a copy machine in the library.  It was
donated and the student government supports the
maintenance.  I have to monitor it a bit to prevent
students from making hundreds of copies.  Usually,
they come in for 1-5 copies.  Sometimes I find it a
hassle; like when they copy a couple of pages from a
book instead of checking it out.  Let me know if you
need more info.

-------

Part II will come next.

  Esther

Esther Lewenstein
I.S. 278 Marine Park
1925 Stuart Street
Brooklyn, NY 11229
718.645.6201
Fax. 718.998.7324
ELewens@nycboe.net
**The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my =
employer.**